Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assembly table?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I use my TS Outfeed Table

My assembly table is my Table Saw Outfeed Table. I build furniture on a part time basis now and space is a premium.
    When I had a large shop (4000 sq. feet) I still used my outfeed table more than my other assembly tables. It is a handy place to asemble because if you have to tweak a board slightly to get a better fit, the Table Saw is only a few footsteps away.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Try a drafting table

I use an old trestle style drafting table, It adjusts to just over the height of my TS & as low as 28". I tilts too. The pencil tray serves to hold pencils & other small tools as well. Size is 48"deep x 6'. 1" thick made of maple w/ a varnish finish. I picked it up from an archtectural firm that was dumping it's old desks for computer stations. Give some engineering or architectural offices a call or any place that used to do olds school drafting, you might get a deal. Works great for me

I am thinking about making two, now. One will fit under the other, the small one being about 36 +/- with 2 or 3 small drawers, about 4x7 and the other one about 24 +/- with as many drawers as will fit. Both having levelers and casters like Scott's. In the taller/bigger one I will have t tracks in the top. I believe it will all work out, I have done a few sketches, it seems to work.

I finally got around to building an assembly table, I job ended up dictating the size of it. It is 4x8, it is not done yet, still needs hardboard top and trim. I will eventually put some drawers or something on the bottom, any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

My assembly table is also 4x8', 4" thick torsion box top, but I also made 3 full legth/width shelves underneath, and that's where I store my sheet stock. I usually put full sheets on the bottom and middle shelves and partial sheets on the top. The whole thing is on 6 fairly large casters, and the height is the same as my TS so I can use it for an infeed table if need be (I don't like to do assembly on my outfeed table because I always need to cut something.) I also mounted an extra full size cast iron woodworking vise on one end, and a machinist's vise on a corner of the other end. With the sheet goods stacked under the top, it doesn't move on the casters unless you want it to.

Dave, you wanna post a pic of yours? Here is a picture of a workbench I am in the middle of to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son