Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Desk

i was following along with this wonderful post so i could learn something new or elevate my woodworking skills by seeing how someone else works and i have to say that im blown away by the rosewood planes you are making. i would really like to see some details about how you go about building such pieces of working art. that is something i would like to add to my bench.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by sean m. titmas View Post
    i was following along with this wonderful post so i could learn something new or elevate my woodworking skills by seeing how someone else works and i have to say that im blown away by the rosewood planes you are making. i would really like to see some details about how you go about building such pieces of working art. that is something i would like to add to my bench.
    Sean-to make the Krenov style plane I guess it would be best to go to the source - Jim shows how he does it in his 2nd book The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking-also in Fine WoodWorking #126 oct. 1997 there is a good article and a great picture of jim on the cover-of course through the years I've changed the way jim taught to methods that more suit me.
    I hope you do make some wooden planes-and if so you'll discover one of great pleasures of wood working.

alex

After this post I'll be up to where I'm really at-while the veneer is getting soft in the plastic bag I cut the grooves in the frames-I use the router table and break two bits doing it-when something like this happens before I can even turn around the dog has got up and left the shop-

the five pieces that will make up each panel taped together - I line the mold with wax paper then I glue each side and get them in the right place on the mold then tape them in place-then into the press-I made this press years ago - it's 30" wide and 8 ft. long with 27 screws-

out of the press-

they fit perfect-

the smart dog-

more to come
    alex
    Last edited by edward alexander; 03-19-2009 at 8:12 PM. Reason: spilling

Very nice!

I love the desk, the wood, the craftsmanship. Thanks for showing how you do this type of project. I really enjoy the progress pictures.

Only one question. How do you keep the sawdust out of the pup's fur?

Seriously, I am enjoying your step by step on this project. Hopefully some of your skill will rub off electronically.

Alex, great post, thanks. I'm with you all the way right up to "backing strips". I assume they are put in the mold, with duct tape on one side of the metal(holding them together), and plastic between the workpiece and the other side of the metal. Why do you put in the backing strips, and is the workpiece sandwiched between two backing strips? BTW, the pictures are just terrific -- really looking forward to more. Vince

Many many times here on SMC I have been amazed at what people do and still am.... Edward, I have no idea what your background it and I'm a newbie woodworking but I have to say this entire post is stunning in many different ways.

I presume this is your full time business? You are truely gifted my friend!
    Too bad I didn't have you for a neighbor!

Travis
    Frederick,CO

Alex this post is great. I'm learning so much from your posts. I'm really trying to follow along with the desk and the build but, like so many others have said, those planes you make are really awesome too. and I really like how you do all the bending and lamination too.

Nice work, as usual alex. I like the in-process show.

Lots of folks seem to have missed the fact that you're building something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cooper View Post
    Only one question. How do you keep the sawdust out of the pup's fur? .
    Rob-he's not a pup-he's an old dog named townes-I got him the day his name-sake the late great Townes Van Zandt crossed over the great divide-as far as keeping the sawdust out of his fur-he loves it-rolls in it- townes is on the brink of becoming a famous dog- he had a part in the movie that was shot in Smithville last summer staring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn -oh by the way I don't really kick my dog.

alex
    Last edited by edward alexander; 03-20-2009 at 1:55 PM. Reason: add to

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Alex, great post, thanks. I'm with you all the way right up to "backing strips". I assume they are put in the mold, with duct tape on one side of the metal(holding them together), and plastic between the workpiece and the other side of the metal. Why do you put in the backing strips, and is the workpiece sandwiched between two backing strips? BTW, the pictures are just terrific -- really looking forward to more. Vince
    Vince-The backing strap is used for support on the convex face of a bend that's where the wood fibers are in tension so the backing strap is only used on the outside,on the concave face or the inside the fibers are in compression-and your right the duct tape is only to hold the two pieces together-the 1 1/4" bandsaw blade was the only spring steel I had but I needed a 2 1/2" wide piece ( that's the width of the frames I bent) so I have one less big bandsaw blade-the alternative would be to drive into Austin and buy a three foot piece of 2 1/2: spring steel-50 miles each way.

alex

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    I love the desk, the wood, the craftsmanship. Thanks for showing how you do this type of project. I really enjoy the progress pictures.
    I just want to repeat what Paul has said, this is fantastic work done by a true craftsman. I was just telling my brother that I wished there was someone here close to me so that I could visit and learn first hand.

Thanks once again for taking the time to post your progress.
    David

Nice photo essay!
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I'll just chime in as well that your work looks fantastic. I am a relative newbie to ww'ing as well but have worked with both walnut and maple a fair amount. I especially love walnut and love seeing other projects using it.
    Your techniques are very intriguing and I look forward to seeing more.
    Someday I'll tackle steam bending ....

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Alex,

Simply amazing. This entire thread is like reading a great book - I have been engrossed from the beginning, and I can't wait to see how it ends - thank you! Your work is breathtaking, and I find your documentation of the process very interesting and helpful. Keep up the great work and keep those pics coming!

Kyle