Thread: Y Adapter for HF 2HP DC

Y Adapter for HF 2HP DC

Anyone ever replace the inlet Y adapter on their 2HP dust collector. I can get the stock piece from HF but they seem cheap. Anyone know where else I can get a 5 inch Y adapter that reduces down to two 4 inchers?

Thanks,

Deck

I think most people are trying to remove them and upsize, not install them and downsize. Perhaps, someone will post they have one they would part with on the cheap.

Anthony,
    I am not downsizing. The Y that is on the DC cracked. This is the stock part. I am going to stay with the stock part but the HF part is pretty light duty. I thought someone might know of a better than part to use.

deck

Deck,

I have the same DC. You may have to get a 5" to 4" reducer and a 4" Y pipe and gorilla glue them together. Hope this helps.

Joe

Is it 5" or 6". I can't remember but I thought I measured mine to be 6"?? I was recently looking to permanentaly mounting it in the corner and doing hard pipe. This whole time I had been planning 6" pipe from the collector?

Ben,
    Mine is 5".

I wish it was a 6 inch because peachtree sells a nice Y reducer.

deck

Try:

Tom Menth
    Spiral Manufacturing Co., Inc.
    1-800-426-3643 Local 763-755-7677
    tmenth@spiralmfg.com Fax 763.755.6184

I've long since not had a need for my HFDC Y. (See attached photo) You're welcome to mine if you're interested.

Optionally, you could go with 6" just like I did, and then get the Y you really want. (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 03-17-2009 at 5:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I've long since not had a need for my HFDC Y. (See attached photo) You're welcome to mine if you're interested.

Optionally, you could go with 6" just like I did, and then get the Y you really want. (see attached)
    I gotta ask... Where did you get that giant mushroom shaped bag on your DC? That thing is wild looking... I am assuming the whole point is surface area...

I have seen the trick where you replace the inlet piece with a shop cut 6" flange, but I have wondered, since the output between the impeller and inlet ring is 5", doesn't that provide a pretty substantial airflow restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I gotta ask... Where did you get that giant mushroom shaped bag on your DC? That thing is wild looking... I am assuming the whole point is surface area...

I have seen the trick where you replace the inlet piece with a shop cut 6" flange, but I have wondered, since the output between the impeller and inlet ring is 5", doesn't that provide a pretty substantial airflow restriction?
    The bag came from AFF. It cost more than the HFDC at the time. (I got the HFDC on a $119 special or something) I'd like to replace the whole setup with a Grizzly or Oneida cyclone in the next year or two when I finally get back into the shop.

I've got 6" S&D throughout the shop and don't have any problem with airflow. That's not to say that it couldn't be better, but not having anything to compare it to, I'd say it's pretty good. My inclination is to say that air compresses pretty well and that a short 5" exhaust shouldn't hurt me too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    The bag came from AFF. It cost more than the HFDC at the time. (I got the HFDC on a $119 special or something) I'd like to replace the whole setup with a Grizzly or Oneida cyclone in the next year or two when I finally get back into the shop.

I've got 6" S&D throughout the shop and don't have any problem with airflow. That's not to say that it couldn't be better, but not having anything to compare it to, I'd say it's pretty good. My inclination is to say that air compresses pretty well and that a short 5" exhaust shouldn't hurt me too badly.
    Ah...

I gotcha...

Kind of like my HF-DC + Wynn Spun Bond combo...

HF 2HP DC on sale with coupon ran me $143.00.

Wynn Filter after shipping ran me $180.00

Never seen one of those AFF bags... Hope it works well for you.

I wondered about adapting the intake on mine to 6", but was concerned the 5" jumper to the inlet ring would be too much of a restriction.

Then again, my largest dust hood port is 4", and the entire shop / dust collection system is going to have a major redo in about two years. (Get some debt gone, and put in a dedicated shop building). I figure 4" will do for now...

I have the older Grizzly 1029 model (2 HP) single stage. When I bought mine the standard was a 5 inch Y to a double 4 inch. However all of the literature mentioned that the inlet was a 6 inch.

I called Grizzly and they told me that the inlet size had been changed. The machine was fully capable of handling the 6 inch inlet. Then they offered to sell me a new cover with a 6 inch inlet for approximately $25. I declined and went to the Borg and picked up a 6 inch, 26 guage, HVAC fitting. Some work with a metal cutting blade on my jig saw, and a handfull of sheet metal screws and I had a 6 inch inlet.

That was 3 years ago and hundreds of hours of DC operation.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Ah...

I gotcha...

Kind of like my HF-DC + Wynn Spun Bond combo...

HF 2HP DC on sale with coupon ran me $143.00.

Wynn Filter after shipping ran me $180.00

Never seen one of those AFF bags... Hope it works well for you.

I wondered about adapting the intake on mine to 6", but was concerned the 5" jumper to the inlet ring would be too much of a restriction.

Then again, my largest dust hood port is 4", and the entire shop / dust collection system is going to have a major redo in about two years. (Get some debt gone, and put in a dedicated shop building). I figure 4" will do for now...
    Yea, I got my AFF bag before the Wynn filters got to be all the rage or I probably would have gone that way. The bag really does work well, it just takes up a ton of space. I've updated most of my tools to accept 6" and it seems to help a lot. One of these days when school is done (taking last class this summer!!) I'll get my web page back on line and updated to reflect the dust collection installation I did several years back. I'd love to have a dedicated building for WW, but the basement shop does have its advantages sometimes.