Thread: SawMill Creek Woodworkers Swap Meet

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Swap Meet

October 23rd, 2004

SawMill Creek will host the first Woodworkers Tool and Lumber Swap in Gloucester County Virginia. We hope that hundreds of woodworkers will gather in Gloucester County to buy, sell and trade their used tools, equipment, lumber and supplies. Event hours are from 8am untill 6pm, bring your shade tent, picnic table and chairs.

Rain date is scheduled for October 30th, 2004.

No Dealers Allowed!
    Attendence will be limited so register early and reserve your free tickets by sending an email to webmaster@sawmillcreek.org

Comments and questions concerning this event are welcome.

I'm fairly new here so I hope I'm not violating any protocols by asking....

Why no dealers? They may be willing to pay a premium to participate and provide demo's of what they have for sale.....

Just my 2 cents.

Tks
    Joe in Tampa....

There will be a similar arrangement during the Five Barns picnic at Bill Grumbine's place this month for folks not able to attend both events. It is also a "no dealer" deal...personal swap and sales only.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joe,

There are three reasons why we decided that dealers would not be advisable for the Swap. First we will be in a four acre field and most dealers would not consider this to be suitable for their equipment. Second most woodworkers don't want to feel that they are competing with a commercial business at a community style get-together when they gather to swap used tools and equipment. Third the event will be hosted at my home so it cannot be a commercial venture, a friendly gathering is acceptable to the county.

I will provide the necessary equipment (large A-frame with chain fall) to load and unload large equipment and I will have the necessary electrical connections in a central area for running/testing machines. My neighbor owns a WoodMiser sawmill and will have lots of lumber to sell and I have lumber as well. I will inquire and see if he will offer to mill lumber for those who would like to bring logs.

I would really like this to be a multi-featured event and I will be able to accommodate a few woodworkers who would be able to do demonstrations, with electrical power and possibly a large tent. I am able to publish a listing of equipment that people plan to bring in advance of the event if there is interest.

There are 120 members of SMC who live in the local area and many more within a reasonable driving range to Gloucester County. If the response to the event is low I will advertise in the regional newspapers so we should have a respectable number of woodworkers who will be attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    My neighbor owns a WoodMiser sawmill and I will have lots of lumber to sell and I have lumber as well.
    Lumber? I wouldn't relegate it to being called just lumber! You have by far the
    prettiest red oak I've ever seen. There is no place to buy that kind of quality--
    that alone will draw a crowd.

I'll hate to see it go..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Are tickets required only for those that wish to set up a table; or does everyone need a ticket even if they want to just come, browse and meet other SMC'ers?

George

Tool and Lumber Swap

Our good atlas is in my wife's car, which isn't here. The one I have doesn't index Gloucester, Gloucester Co. or Hayes VA. For a newbie, where in the world is your place? I would love to come and check things out.

Jack Young

George,

Tickets are just a means of us controlling the number of people who will be attending, it would be catastrophic if 5000 people showed up unexpectedly. When you send us an email registering to attend we will add your name to the list and have badges printed for each person to wear. You can bring a table if you prefer but you should bring lawn chairs, we can park a hundred trucks but can't provide that many chairs

Jack,

My home in Gloucester County is about one mile as the crow flys from historic Yorktown, on the opposite side of the York River near the Coleman Bridge on Route 17. I will provide a custom map and driving instructions in the near future. The area we live is mostly rural and our home is six acres bordered by three roads so we should have plenty of room and equipment noise shouldn't be a problem

There are plenty of places for your families to visit in our area. Within 30 miles there is Yorktown, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country and Nauticus in Norfolk. There is a new Comfort Inn on Route 17 just a few miles from my home and accomodations abound on the Virginia Peninsula within a few miles drive from Gloucester County.

Well, maybe "Outdoor World" in Hampton isn't an official landmark...but it should be..

john
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground.

Keith,
    About how long of a drive is it from Asheville NC to your area? We are taking our vacation at that time and are going to be in Asheville to see Biltmore Estate on Friday and were planning to make it to the Norfolk/Williamsburg area about the middle of the next week, but might have to change our plans.

Matt -

I'm not Keith but, I live in Oxford NC and it takes me four hours between here and Asheville and about three to Virginia Beach. So I figure a little over three to Keith's. That would make it 7-8 hours form Ashville to Hayes.

George

Approximations:

FROM THE NORTH:
    3 hours from Washington, DC.
    4 hours from Baltimore, MD

FROM THE WEST:
    1 hour from Richmond, VA.
    2 hours from Charlottesville, VA.

FROM THE EAST:
    45 minutes from Virginia Beach
    20 minutes from Newport News

FROM THE SOUTH:
    2 hrs from Nags Head, I believe.

You can enter your starting city and get approximate driving times to Hayes, VA.
    Just go to www.mapquest.com, click on "Driving Directions", and just enter 23072 as the ending zip code (no address necessary).
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Swap Meet

Oops! I had to change the date of the Swap to October 23rd, 2004
    I had consulted the SawMill Creek calendar when I setup the schedule for the SMC Swap however Ken Salisbury reminded me this morning that Terry Hatfields 3rd Annual Central States Bbq is scheduled for September 18th although it isn't on our calendar. My Fault

Rather than have a conflict with Terry or Bill Grumbine or anyone else we have moved our First SawMill Creek Swap to October 23rd, 2004. I hope this doesn't cause too many scheduling conflicts but the good news is that the weather should be much more comfortable in October.