Thread: SMC Hats to Purchase New Server

SMC Hats to Purchase New Server

Our Site Administrator Aaron Koehl feels that it is time for us to add another SMC server. Sharing the load between two separate servers will improve performance and allow us to continue to grow. Essentially we will separate the web hosting and the database loads and serve them from two machines.

We have decided to apply the proffit from our hat sales toward building a new server, this will allow us to build a much faster and powerful new machine which is preferable to a hand-me-down server from HRO. So order (and wear) your SawMill Creek hats and we can all thank Dennis Peacock for his efforts and our new server in the months to come.

Well, I must be some sort of psychic rather than a fibber. Here an hour and a half or so ago I told my wife I was going to be sending $18 for a cap, and she looked at me as though I was daft.

I quickly added on that the sale was going to go towards a new server for the site.

Then I see this post and think, "Huh. I wasn't fibbing after all." Good for me.

I think I still owe Someone a little apology though.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Might not be a bad idea to post a sticky asking for the folks who did not want a hat but would be willing to kick in 5 or 10 bucks towards the new server...JAT

Will you have hats at the Swap Meet?

George

Smile Win-win!

Win-win situation.

Thanks.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Keith, this is an excellent way to upgrade the technology behind this wonderful community and a far better way than ads or membership fees. Kudos!

For those of you who haven't ordered your hats, get to it. For those of you who don't wear them or want them, consider buying one to use as a gift for another woodworker friend or family member!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Might not be a bad idea to post a sticky asking for the folks who did not want a hat but would be willing to kick in 5 or 10 bucks towards the new server...JAT
    I second this idea. I did a quick search on how to make a donation and could not figure out how to. Might also add to the FAQ.

Bob

David,

I won't tell but if Tyler knows..... Just kidding... Tyler's too busy with his gold to even notice.

Keith,
    If you of Dennis could get some to Mr. Grumbine's picnic (July 30-31), you might have a good sales day. Esp. if it is hot, as is customary at this time of the year.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard
    David,

I won't tell but if Tyler knows..... Just kidding... Tyler's too busy with his gold to even notice.
    Greg, looks like I'm safe for now. Well, as long as Keith doesn't add PM, gold, or Powermatic to the title of this thread.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Tim,

SawMill Creek has been absolutely free from the first day we went online and we would like to keep it that way if possible. I just hate to ask for donations as it might give people the wrong idea or concerns about our future. Funding our server needs through the sale of "Cool Stuff" seems to be the way to go and those who don't wear hats can get in on some other item in the future. Someone like Dennis will have a great idea and we will roll with it like the hats.
    -----------------
    George,

I will try and have at least one box of hats at the Swap Meet. People are starting to register so it looks like we will have a great crowd and I will announce more events for the SMC Swap in the near future.
    -----------------------------------
    Bob,

We have never asked for any donations, and I hope we will never have to ask. Currently all of our expenses (server space and bandwidth) are donated by Hampton Roads Online as a community service. HRO has also paid for our software and software upgrades so we are fortunate that we don't have any advertisors to keep happy and we can speak freely

Alan,

I know that Bill Grumbine wouldn't mind but I prefer not to sell anything at the Five Barns Picnic. Certainly we don't want to be disrespectfull to Bill and his familly as the hosts of the event, it is their function and I would be uncomfortable doing anything that woud be considered a commercial activity. I was at the Five Barns Picnic last year and it was a great event, Aaron and I had a great time and wish we could go back this year but our schedules are full untill the end of August.

Although I have two SMC hats and a jacket from last year I ordered two more of the new style hats as well. I'm awefull proud of SawMill Creek and enjoy promoting our community everywher I go

Keith,
    I understand, and I should have checked with Bill G. before voluntaring his farm for this activity. Another oops, in a life sometimes filled with them.
    Alan