Thread: Hartville Hand Planes

Hartville Hand Planes

I'm venturing into the world of handplanes. Anyone used these before? They're a pretty penny LESS than the 'good stuff', but most stuff I've had from HVT has been decent quality....

Looking for a smoothing, jack, and jointing plane

http://www.hartvilletool.com/category/519

It depends on what you are going to expect of the planes in the way of fine work and on what sorts of woods. These planes should also likely be thought of more as "kits" than tools ready to go right out of the box. Judging by their price point, odds are they will need a good deal of fettling.

Vintage Stanley's (pre-WWII) in these sizes are roughly the same prices and much surer bets as far as qulity in my estimation.

Hi Shawn,

Since you're in NJ, if you can wait until April 18, the CRAFTS Spring Tool Auction will be on that date. The tools that are being auctioned off are more for collectors, although some bargains can be had, but before the auction there's a big tailgate sale, where used tool people bring what they have. Some really good bargains can be picked up there. You should easily be able to find a Stanley #4, #5, and some sort of jointer plane there.

4. What Wilbur said.

IMHO, there's no way the Hartville planes will perform better than an older (WWII or older) stanley, good examples of which you can find at the tailgating for the same price point. You might have to clean them up a bit, and the finish is not pristine, but for the budget minded you can't beat this opportunity, and its local, relatively. Good luck to you.

THanks WIlbur. Where and where is the Craft fair?
    - s

6. Website for Crafts: craftsofnj.org

Here is the only low-cost new plane that I regularly use. It is excellent and beautiful (and $38).

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13602

Their smoother is fine. I have it but I'm not in love with it.
    I have not tried the jointer.

And here is the real gem - High Angle (63°), Rosewood, very effective on difficult grain. Love the blade! (for $55.55). I use it alongside other smoothers.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13602

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Here is the only low-cost new plane that I regularly use. [Japanese? Asian? style plane]...
    Brian
    Brian -

You have other planes - any traditional (to me) style with depth of cut knobs? Don't you find the DOC difficult to adjust with the wedge adjusters?

I bought one (I think it was the very model from Japan Woodworker) but it needed to be returned because of defects. But while I had it I tried it out. It cut very well, I liked the feel, but I found it very difficult to make minor adjustments to the depth of cut. I confess I did not use an "official" plane hammer but it what I used was close in size and weight (I have LOTS of hammers).
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Doug,

I like using a hammer for adjusting, but then I also like the fine adjustment on the LV-LA Jack.

When I set the blade in to begin with, I use paper on the bench, and rest the front and back of the sole on paper, and then let the bade go all the way down to the bench. Since a sheet of paper is about 4 thousandths of an inch, that's a good starting place for the blade. Then I like the little tappy - tappy challenge.

Sorry to hear about the defect on your plane!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the number 5 from Hartville. I am no plane expert but it seems to be of good quality for the price. I got it on sale for like $18. I think for the price the wood tote and knob was worth that price.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

OK, I've gotta admit I haven't tried the Hartville planes, but I have a tough time recommending any of the inexpensive newer planes over the oodles of great old planes that are available. Search Ebay for Bailey, Millers Falls, and Record, and you'll find yourself a smorsgasboard of great choices that are affordable, functional, and have decades of history. They're just too cool to pass up in favor of some newer shoddily machined piece made in India, and are a lot more fun to acquire.

Last edited by scott spencer; 03-20-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

There are several 'bargain' planes on the market, most but not all come from China. I have also used the Footprint (English) and Anant (Indian) planes, and together the bunch are not worth the powder to blow them up.
    An Indian company bought all the Record patterns and produces a fair copy, but they do not put thier name on the plane anywhere (!), so I can't give it to you. I also can't speak to the quality of the irons, but that is easy to replace.
    My motto is to buy the best that you can afford. Pinched pennies on tools will always come back to bite you.

Steve