Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed Ex broke my humidor.

Blog Entries

Fed Ex broke my humidor.

The Bubinga Humidor I posted in woodworking projects has been severly damaged by my friends at Fed Ex. The box was damaged and the humidors hinges are destroyed. Other than that, I can fix it after another trip across the country. Who knows what'll be left by the time it gets here. Sorry I just had to vent. I'm really upset.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-18-2009 at 4:52 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

And I suspect a different carrier next time? Not that the results would be any different.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Blog Entries
    The client is going to a UPS store and letting them pack it to get it back to me. They are responsible if they pack it. Other than that he was very happy.

Good thing you insured it for $1000 when you shipped it...

Last time UPS smashed up something for me, (vintage silver service set) I made a claim. They asked if it was repairable or replacable, and I said no. They went out to examine the original packaging and paid up.

Make sure whoever you shipped it to keeps the original packaging, because the first thing they will try to do is blame you for lack of proper packaging and padding.

Have you talked to the shipper? They generally have a very specific claims policy. The receiver is supposed to refuse shipment for damaged goods. Otherwise they may not pay up. You should probably talk to their claims adjustor before having the buyer do anything. The sender is usually responsible for filing claims.

Bill,
    Ken Fitzgerald and I just went through this with the bomb... you might ask him for a few tips on the claims end!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    I've got the ball rolling we'll see what happens.

Blog Entries
    Bill, that is a truly beautiful piece. I'm sorry to hear what happened and hope it can be saved.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ya can't trust those guys. I once shipped six chessboards to a guy in Alabama. I made a crate out of 3/4" plywood put together with a million cabinet streakers and strapped with metal strapping. It was lined inside with 1" thick styrofoam panels and there were also 1" thick styrofoam panels between the boards. Shipped it UPS. About a week later the guy called me and he was totally furious because all of the boards were damaged and he wanted to know why I had packaged them so carelessly. I was "flabbergasted" but he sent me pictures of my boards, all broken at the corners, in a ripped up cardboard box, no styrofoam panels to be seen! No one knows how they got out of the crate and into that cardboard box. But when we filed a claim against UPS for the damage they denied it because the items were not properly packaged!?!?!?!?!?

Now, I document everything with pictures using a digital camera with a time and date stamp. I even get shots of the driver loading the package into his truck. But even so, when they trash a one of a kind piece, even getting the insurance money cannot compensate for the loss.
    David DeCristoforo

Bill, I'm really sorry to hear this. I've had more damage due to Fedex and UPS than I care to list. At least you can take a very minor amount of consolation in the fact that they didn't charge you an $80 brokerage fee to mishandle your package!

Brent....who is pulling out his Fedex/UPS Voodoo Doll as we speak.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Ya can't trust those guys. I once shipped six chessboards to a guy in Alabama. I made a crate out of 3/4" plywood put together with a million cabinet streakers and strapped with metal strapping. It was lined inside with 1" thick styrofoam panels and there were also 1" thick styrofoam panels between the boards. Shipped it UPS. About a week later the guy called me and he was totally furious because all of the boards were damaged and he wanted to know why I had packaged them so carelessly. I was "flabbergasted" but he sent me pictures of my boards, all broken at the corners, in a ripped up cardboard box, no styrofoam panels to be seen! No one knows how they got out of the crate and into that cardboard box. But when we filed a claim against UPS for the damage they denied it because the items were not properly packaged!?!?!?!?!?

Now, I document everything with pictures using a digital camera with a time and date stamp. I even get shots of the driver loading the package into his truck. But even so, when they trash a one of a kind piece, even getting the insurance money cannot compensate for the loss.
    I had something very similar happen with fedex. I packed 30 things in one box. And sent it to my parents. They sent me a message they got my suprise. So, I thought all was well. After a month or so, I asked them how they liked the different ones. And they said you only sent us the one kind. I answered very confused. You only got 1 kind? They said yes. I said was the box damaged / retaped. They said no it was in a nice new looking fedex box. The problem is I didn't ship anything in a fedex box. I sent them in a large brown cardboard box. Someone at Fedex opened it and took what they wanted and reboxed the rest, and sent in on.

Blog Entries
    Because they want to have some driver pick it up and hand it off to God knows who, and then keep it for a few weeks before I can fix it. I just decided to have my client send it back to me and I'll fix it. I don't want some guy that just finished a meatball sandwich putting their grubby hands on my finish I spent a week on.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-18-2009 at 4:51 PM.

This reminds me of something kind of funny, has nothing to do with Fedex though. My BIL was in the army and stationed in Germany. When he got out, the amry packed his stuff and shipped via sea home, then truck to KC. My BIL lived with us for 6 months, and one day is stuff arrived. Now the funny thing, some bozo packed the TV real nice with lots of cloths and other linens as padding. He proceeded with packing a bowling ball on top of the TV. The TV was absolutely demolished. Still worked though... well after I soldered a few splices across broken circuit boards. He got his claim money, but what person doesn't think twice about placing a boaling ball in a box with a TV and what it might do travelling via truck to boat to truck. Guy must now work for Fed-ex.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Maybe some of you will give Grizzly and/or Minimax a break when they delivered several "shipper enhanced" packages to Mr. Lemkin.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Bill, what a bummer! Hopefully just the hinges were damaged and you'll be able to salvage the rest of your work.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps