Thread: Smart Miter - Smart Move ??

Smart Miter - Smart Move ??

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and would like to thank Jim Becker for suggesting I register. I've done several "searches" thus far and found it to be easy and productive. I also like the real name feature. Speaking of searches, I just did one on after market miter gauges as I'm in the market for a new miter gauge. I presently have an Incra 1000SE that, to be honest, I'm not really crazy about. I find it too "futtsy" for me, plus the measuring strips on the top keep shifting making it a pain to use. I've been seriously looking at the Osborne EB3, Bench Dog MLF360 (yes, I found them still for sale at Tools-Plus for $189.00) and the Smart Miter. I like what I've been reading about the Smart Miter but have been put off by the price in the past. So my mind was pretty much made up between the EB3 and the MLF360. I'm having trouble finding any reviews of the MLF360, though I do like the construction and weight of them (from what I have gathered in past reading). So just as my mind was pretty well made up, Jointech goes and puts the Smart Miter on sale. Now I'm SERIOUSLY considering IT. I guess I just need a little nudge. Any input, good or not so good, on your experiences and thoughts on these three choices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to enjoying this forum. I'm even going to see if my wife will get me a hat for a belated birthday gift.

Jerry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Jerry,

Always got room at the Creek for another. Rules are rules though. Bring your own pole, we can share the bate, and we love pictures.
    Good folks here!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thumbs up Welcome!!!

Welcome to the Creek, Jerry!
    Take your shoes off and sit a spell.
    My, my.... Jim has been busy getting new folks to come visit!!!
    I still use my factory Powermatic miter guage so I can't help you with your question.
    As Tyler mentioned, we LIKE pictures!!!
    They help us read better!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Welcome, Jerry. 'Glad you decided to register and participate in this great community.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ken Salisbury, one of the moderators here, has a Smart Miter and a quick review from a year, or so, ago on his web page (www.oldrebelworkshop.com). Some day when I grow up and get a real table saw, I've thought that I would include this (or Incra's 5000) with my purchase. I know it is almost a rite of passage to make you own cross-cut sled, but I find myself settling for "good enough" and for something where accuracy is extremely vital, I don't want to go down the path of constant frustration.

(BTW, one of the coolest things about this forum software is at the bottom of the threads you'll find a list of "similar" threads. You can find a handfull of other threads asking the same, or similar, questions.)
    Last edited by Dan Stuewe; 07-20-2004 at 11:05 AM.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

IF YOU have found the Smart Miter on sale, Jump on it now !!

You will not be disappointed.

The only 'con' to the SM is that it is a bit heavy and takes up space when you take it off the saw.

But the "pro" side far outweighs the con !

I love mine !
    MARK

Buy it

Absolutely love mine. I posted on it a while back. If accuracy is important to you, than get the Smart Miter. You can hear how excited I was about the product after using it for the 1st time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7495
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

I give the SmartMiter a thumbs up. Of course, I like the Incra 1000SE also. But, I don't use the tape strip on the Incra and I do use it on the Jointech.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Welcome to the 'Creek Jerry! Always room for one more!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Another vote for Smart Miter

Jerry, Welcome, I too am new here. I have had the Incra 3000 since they first came out, and bought the Smart Miter about 3 years ago. I very rarely use the Incra anymore. The Smart Miter is the best $300.00 I spent in a long time. You will not be sorry if you get it.

Dave
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

Jerry
    I have the EB-3 and love it.
    It's quick and easy to use and fast to set.
    Very stable and pushes easily.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Jerry,
    I echo the welcome you received. This is a great place to visit.

I have the Smart Miter and am very pleased with it. I have used it to make quite a few 6 and 8 sided mirror frames and they were all dead on (except one, and that was because I had let the miter runner get out of adjustment).

When you get it, I would recommend that you get the sled that comes with it for the opposite side of the blade. It keeps your cut-offs from breaking off. Yes, it is heavy (but that isn't a negative in my opinion; rather it contributes to the accuracy).

I wasn't comfortable using the folded dollar bill for set up as described in the accompanying video (which is also a must-have). I used a feeler gauge.

Again, welcome aboard!

Warren

HI Jerry,

I can't rember a bad review of the SmartMiter. I love mine. The only limit to it is the 12" crosscut capacity. I have been able to make some cuts wider than that. I have been thinking of making an in feed table that would allow me to get 16" safely. I use mine all the time.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Ken Salisbury, one of the moderators here, has a Smart Miter and a quick review from a year, or so, ago on his web page (www.oldrebelworkshop.com).
    Looks like Dan beat me to my answer. I am very pleased with my Smart Miter. Here is a direct link to the review on my web site:
    www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smartmiter.htm
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.