Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what type of vacuum pump/chuck

I finish all my bowl bottoms using my chuck as a friction chuck. Just open the jaws, fold a nice paper towel as padding, then pin the bowl against the chuck with the tailstock. I shape the bottom, then part the 1/2" tenon left over down to almost gone, use a Japanese flush cut saw or a chisel to cut it off, and 1 minute of hand sanding and it's gone. I do use my large jaws (~4" size), and it works great. I'm always worried about catching and knocking the alignment off with my cole jaws. This way I can finish bowls as big as my lateh can turn as well.

Curtis, I just bought the HF 2.5 pump and it will suck living daylights out of any bowl you will be able to make on your lathe! It does not have to be a Gast pump to do the job. I used an old compressor out of a dehumidifier for years and it still works fine. I just have a friend working at HF so I get his 20% discount that is why I got the new one. I am not sure you understand what a jam chuck really is either. A jam chuck can be anything put on the headstock to hold the bowl in place while the tailstock is brought up to hold the bowl while you finish turn the bottom of the bowl. You will have a little nub left to carve off and sand a bit but it is cheaper than buying a bunch of things for a vacuum system right away. I have only used my vacuum chucks maybe 10 times in 5 years and it is quicker to use a jam chuck most times.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

so which one of the first four i posted is best? they are cheaper than the harfor freight and surplus center ones
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis,

WHich one is best is always subjective! The bottom line in a vacuum pump is the amount of air it can move. With a perfect seal all of the pumps you mentioned would probably work. Obtaining a perfect seal is not likely and the reason you need the ability to move as much air as possible to obtain the best hold.

I own several gasts pumps, one of which was purchased from surplus supply. Gast makes commerical vacuum pumps that are designed to run 24/7 for years. All of the pumps I own are oil less, as I did not want to deal with the potential mess.

The first gast pump you mentioned the DOA model does not provide enough air movement, in my opinion. The 0523 model I use and have had excellent results with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Curtis, I just bought the HF 2.5 pump and it will suck living daylights out of any bowl you will be able to make on your lathe! ....

Jeff
    On the reccomendations of others, I have that one (98076) on order (and due in this week). Be aware it is an oil pump and requires a good airfilter. The strong point is it only costs between $70 and $80 dollars (they vary their price), plus any discount

I have a 15% off the entire order and a 15% off one item coupon, plus a $10 gift card, so there are lots of discounts you can get.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

whats the base amount of suction to look for in a pump?

It depends.... You need a bleeder valve so you can adjust the vacuum, or you run the risk of crushing the bowl.

Swag, 2 CFM at 26 inches with a valve so you can adjust it down to some lesser value
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

how about this pump?
    Refco Two-Stage 6.4CFM Vacuum Pump RL-8

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    It's been moved to the articles section:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84279

Jason
    Thanks for that link, and thanks to Steve for writing the article. That rotary adapter is just the ticket, since I have the same lathe as Steve. Add that to my to-order list.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    how about this pump?
    Refco Two-Stage 6.4CFM Vacuum Pump RL-8
    Curtis,

You don't need a two-stage pump, nor do you need one that moves 6.4 cubic feet of air a minute. A single stage rotary vane pump of 2.5CFM is more than adequate for your needs.

I got my GAST 523 110V used off eBay incl shipping for $91. Works great. My thougts on the advantages of this model are in the following thread. I don't much about vacuum pumps except what I learned from my research in buying one. This is the same model sold by CSUSA for about $400. You just have to be patient and keep looking on eBay. The 110V models tend to go for a few bucks more than a 220V version of the same pump.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99878
    God is great and life is good!

Curtis, Harbor freight has a 15% off coupon right now so you could get the 2.5cfm pump for less that $80 and it is brand new. The one I have works as good as any thing else. No matter what you get you still need to have the best seal on all your fittings and vacuum chuck. Do some research on a homemade vacuum pump like this one I use most of the time. These pics show the pump the bowl and the amount of vacuum that is being pulled by this little very old compressor from an old dehumidifier! Like I always say if you can build it for almost nothing why spend the money! I only bought the little pump from HF so I can make a vacuum chamber for stabilizing things and other fun stuff! It may not be pretty but it works like you would not believe!

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

the reason i asked about the Refco Two-Stage 6.4CFM Vacuum Pump RL-8, is that so far the price on it is very cheap. the other buyers out there seem to pass this one by because it isnt a gast pump and it looks funny because the outside design is all plastic. if i were to get this one, there is a way to limit the amount of suction right?

here is another one, but i cant seem to find anything else about this one, like how much pull it has, does anyone know?

small vacuum pump, made by Charles Austin Pumps, LTD (england), model CAPEX-2, with hose and holding fixture. The fixture has a neoprene rim, so you can hold your work against a belt sander, for example, and not worry about sanding your finger tips off, or you can hold a piece of wood while you carve it without getting fingerprints on it, e

R134A/R12/R22/HOBBYIST VACUUM PUMP(3.0)CFM(NEW)

Leybold/Oerlikon TMP 50 Turbo Pump LH-85401 ISO63-K Flange