Thread: Need help with Jet 2hp motor

Need help with Jet 2hp motor

So here's the deal:
    Sunday evening I bought an older Oneida cyclone along with a Jet 2hp motor/blower with the 12" impeller. The Jet motor is stamped 1999, 230v, 15amp. The PO never installed the cyclone or the motor and decided to sell after five years sitting in his garage. The motor only has about 1 1/2 feet of cord coming from the small junction box and no switch. I think it was grabbed off an older single stage unit. My question is - what is the best and cheapest way to set this up with a remote switch? I know this forum will have the answer.

thanks in advance for any input

mike

Hi Mike, the important piece of information will be whether the motor has built in thermal protection or not.

If it has built in thermal protection you can use a motor rated switch to turn it on/off, or use a contactor.

If the motor doesn't have built in thermal protection, then you need to provide it externally, using an overload relay, or heater.

Motor starters normally provide both functions in one unit, and are available in mechanical and electrically operated types such as a "magnetic starter".

The starter overload heater or relay is sized for the rated motor current, another piece of information found on the motor nameplate.

If you don't need overload protection, any of the remote controlled controls, rated for your motor or larger, will be fine.

If you do need overload protection, you'll need either a mag starter that you can connect your remote control to, or use a standard remote control in series with a mechanical starter with overloads.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-18-2009 at 7:44 AM. Reason: Added remote control info.

Thanks Rod.

So the million dollar question is how do I tell if the motor has internal thermal overload protection?

mike

Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Belluso View Post
    Thanks Rod.

So the million dollar question is how do I tell if the motor has internal thermal overload protection?

mike
    If it isn't marked on the motor nameplate or in the manual, you'll have to ask the vendor.

Normally a motor that has thermal protection will have that information listed on the nameplate, however in this case it may not be.

Adding external overload protection wouldn't cause any problems, it's just an added expense if you don't need it.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post

Hi, according to one review, this unit does not have an electrical approval. If this is true, I certainly wouldn't purchase it.

If someone owns one, could you please check for an approval marking?

It is possible that the product has been improved or approved by now.

Regards, Rod.

Mike, look for a manual reset button located on the motor's junction box. This is not to say it could not have an internal auto-reset switch. That switch is also probably located inside the junction box. The motor nameplate should say "thermally protected" or something to that effect.

IF the motor IS thermally protected, easiest way to provide remote control is the PSI Woodworking LR220-3 220V Long Ranger Dust Collector Switch, which is rated up to 3hp, 240V! $56.63 at Amazon with free shipping! Thats the cheapest I could find!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!