Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Electronics...

1. I can't say my solution is dust-proof, but I blow the PC out every once in a while with the air hose, and haven't had any problems yet, it's been in there for about a year.

Wireless security risk???? What ya got to be so paranoid about Steve??? I thought we were looking for a solution just a bit more dustproof than your *cheapo* boombox in the shop!

When I get tired of commercial FM, I play music off my vast iPod mp3 collection. 40Gb of music should last me a while!! I have a pair of wireless AM-FM Ear Protectors dialed in to my iPod FM base, which also plays through a trusty old SONY boombox. Dust has not been a problem YET!

I am out in the boonies, and my closest neighbor is across a large pasture. I KNOW who would be stealing my wireless net! (unless some unmarked black van parks in the middle of my lane!)
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Wireless security risk???? What ya got to be so paranoid about Steve??? I thought we were looking for a solution just a bit more dustproof than your *cheapo* boombox in the shop!

When I get tired of commercial FM, I play music off my vast iPod mp3 collection. 40Gb of music should last me a while!! I have a pair of wireless AM-FM Ear Protectors dialed in to my iPod FM base, which also plays through a trusty old SONY boombox. Dust has not been a problem YET!

I am out in the boonies, and my closest neighbor is across a large pasture. I KNOW who would be stealing my wireless net! (unless some unmarked black van parks in the middle of my lane!)

LOL! If anybody were to hack into my network, all they would get would be mountains of Excel spreadsheets that are written is such obscure references that even my secretary can't decipher them, and an enourmous pile of useless to anyone else gps data!

I was just curious as to what access a knowlegable person could actually gain with the use of a wireless network. Hypothetical question for you IT types, is a server vulnerable because of a wifi network? That actually does worry me, although my closest neighbors don't even have cable TV...
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 03-20-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: that goodness for spellcheck, wish I had it here...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    our setup, isn't what I was referring to I believe, there was a poster that was talking about using 802.11 access point to some network device to a NAS box to basically stream audio to his shop...

The poster I was replying to was Eric DeSilva...
    Just to be clear, I said you *could* stream wirelessly, but I think I explicitly noted that I ran ethernet. I do have a wireless router, but its outside my real network, doesn't broadcast SSID, and relies on MAC address filtering, among other things.