Thread: Bowl Gouge Bevel Angle?

Bowl Gouge Bevel Angle?

Does anyone know what the bevel angle should be for a bowl gouge? I have one that has been ground down so many times the "angle" is sort of an arc. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

It depends

Fred,

The "proper" bevel angle on a bowl gouge depends on the style of bowl gouge you prefer. The very popular "Elsworth profile" has a bevel angle (at the nose) of about 60 degrees. (The angle on the wings is different.) The "standard profile" bowl gouge has a bevel angle at the nose of about 45 degrees. (The angle on the wings is about the same.) Here's a link to a chart showing popular bowl gouge profiles and their bevel angles (Scroll down for the chart.): http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/tts100/

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by David Walser; 03-19-2009 at 8:23 PM. Reason: Add instruction to scroll down to see the chart.

I agree with David - it all depends on what grind you have on your gouge. I have wings on mine that are very swept back and a nose angle of close to 40*, which for a lot of folks that would be extremely aggressive. So, what style of grind is it you want to have?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have three 1/2" bowl gouges with angles of 45, 55 and 60 degree bevels. I am thinking I would like another one with a 40 deg bevel like Steve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My first and second Ellsworth gouges came with about 45 degree angles. This will do for most regular and shallower bowls. All of my gouges match this angle, and with my Ellsworth grinding jig and the way I have it set up, it is within about a half of a degree of how the Thompson gouges come. I do have to 'bottom of the bowl' gouges which are ground to more of a 70 degree angle, the same as my scrapers. This allows you to go through the transition area and across the bottom without having your handle hit the rim of the bowl. More useful on large and deeper bowls. A good compromise angle would be in the 50 to 60 degree range. I have never measured my angles, just guessing.
    robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Krueger View Post
    the "angle" is sort of an arc.
    I feel your pain, I have my favorite go to spindle gouge.
    After a lot of trial and error, I finally found a grind that I learned to love. The other day I was sharpening away with the tool rest unlocked and ground an "arc".
    I am still looking for that sweet spot again...
    I think this time I will document how it is ground.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

This page should get you going again. If you find a different leg angle that works for you place the Vari-Grind on the picture and mark it on the paper, this way you can go back to it if the leg ever moves.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp

I think you've opened at least a small can of worms. Like Bernie, I have three 1/2" gouges, but ground at 40, 60 and 85 degrees - all with a fingernail grind. That way, I can ride the bevel on just about any bowls I turn. I think it just comes down to what works for you. Come to think of it, a Thompson 5/8" "V" gouge, ground at 45 degrees looks interesting for rough cutting...
    Last edited by Clarence Sears; 03-20-2009 at 12:42 PM.

I use 40 degree bevels on all my gouges except one, and it id 50.

Fred,

Have you figured out yet that it's what works for YOU?

If you talk to 100 turners who make their living turning, you'll get at least 100 answers, just as you have here. A couple of years back, Bob Rosand was teaching and answered this question. He essentially said that he's played with a lot of angles over the years. He doesn't play any more. ALL of his gouges are at 45º, period. I do not know if that included bowl gouges or not, but he was done playing. He discovered that by not having to move his grinding jigs, his grinder supports, etc., that he saves time and that he can figure out how to move his hands to accomplish whatever he needs with the 45º bevel.

I do not do much with bowls, frankly, but classes with successful, older (wiser?), pro turners indicated to me that they all went through times of fooling with angles, but that they settled on a particular angle and particular grind and pretty much used one tool to accomplish their goal--finished product. Most have a signature shape for their bowls and so the angle(s) needed to accomplish that shape efficiently and repeatably don't need much adjustment.

Most of us on this forum are NOT that settled. Most of us are still fooling with finding shapes and styles that are pleasing to us. That means a lot to the above discussion.

One of the venerated souls that we lost a couple of years ago, Frank Sudol, said it best in a class I attended in Florida, "Don't worry so much about the angle of your gouge or your skew! Worry about the shape of your piece!" That was my nugget from that symposium.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I have three 1/2" bowl gouges with angles of 45, 55 and 60 degree bevels. I am thinking I would like another one with a 40 deg bevel like Steve.

Bernie, could you possibly explain the different uses or results from using the different angles? Just begining to experiment with this.. Thanks