Thread: My name is Charlie and I have a crack problem...

My name is Charlie and I have a crack problem...

I was planing some pieces of cherry that will be glued up into raised panels. The cherry has been stickered and air dried for a couple of years. Some of the boards have very small "cracks" in the grain. I'm calling them cracks, but voids may be a better discription since they don't go through the board (aren't visible on the other side). The panels will only have the front side visible in the finished project, so I can orient the boards so the voids are on the back side.

I have been working with kiln dried oak almost exclusively for the last 10 years or so and I'm not used to seeing anything like this. Has anyone else had a similar experience when working with cherry? Will these voids cause a problem if the boards are glued up into raised panels? I don't want them to open up into a real crack or split.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These types of "defects" are common in cherry. I call them pitch pockets, but that may not be technically correct. Unless very large, they tend to be just part of the wood's charm and pose little to no structural issue.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Those are pitch pockets and will not cause a problem. They are natural voids in teh wood, which generally fill with hardened sap. If they are hollow, fill them with a dark wood filler and sand them flush.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've had good luck making a past of sawdust and epoxy and it usually winds up looking like a gum streak (no void).

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Thank goodness your "crack problem" has to do with wood!

I was worried your jeans didn't fit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    Thank goodness your "crack problem" has to do with wood!

I was worried your jeans didn't fit!!
    I was afraid it was drug related and he was crying out for an intervention...
    Trees. Tools. Time.

That's exactly the reason god gave us putty.

WOOD FILLER....I MEANT WOOD FILLER....
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 03-20-2009 at 8:47 PM. Reason: What I meant to Say...
    David DeCristoforo

So the I think the deal is the sap dries, it shrinks, the wood around it shrinks less, you get these voids. I wouldn't seek them out when selecting lumber but I wouldn't cut them out either. A little putty....uhumm...wood filer or grain filler should work nicely. Add it early in the process before final sanding or planing, should disappear.

Blog Entries
    Charlie
    Sometimes , if you find enough saplines, you can use them as an accent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Well at least you're not showing signs of the dreaded Plumber's Crack.

It's just part of being Cherry.
    Use the fence Luke

I leave those defects as is, as its just part of the cherry that is often in the boards.

I actually seek out cherry boards with sap/pitch pockets. I think they make the cherry much more interesting!!

Jim in Idaho