Thread: ANOTHER DC Ducting Question

ANOTHER DC Ducting Question

I am aware of all the common options for ducting that have been the subject of several threads over time. But while at my local plumbing supply shop today I became aware of a product called Foam Core PVC. I've never heard of it before so I am wondering if this is a NEW product on the market or has it been around for awhile, and also, is it conducive for DC ducting?

Thanks for any replies.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

It has been around for a while. I thought that was what everyone was using now, perhaps it is just the plumbers that I know. As far as DC use, I would not think their would be a difference between that and the old PVC but I am sure someone here would know.

I have never herd of it. Could you tell me more about it? just ou of curiosity.

Does it actually have a foam core and how does the price compare to 4" waist line?

I am a general contractor not a plumber. As I understand it:

Foam core PVC does have a foam core, it is cheaper to produce, it is claimed to be a little quieter, it is more brittle than solid core PVC and therefore will break easier. As far as plumbing use goes, foam core PVC can only be used in DWV situations not for pressure use. The inside and outside dimensions of foam core and solid core PVC are the same. The foam core will typically have "not for pressure" and "cellular core" in their markings in black, the color code for solid core PVC is typically red or blue. The same primer and glue can be used on both.

foam core PVC

Just completed two DC systems, both using foam-core PVC from Lowes. Certainly can't see the 'foam' but the stencil on the pipe says that's what it is. Works fine - no problems at all.