Thread: Upgrade existing DC?

Upgrade existing DC?

I currently have a stock Delta 50-665, 1 1/2 HP two stage, barrel style dust collector mounted on a 55 gal drum. It works well except for two things: the unit is quite heavy and has to be lifted off the 55 gal drum for dumping and the "bag" that collects the dust is porous enough that a lot of fine dust escapes back into the shop, especially when it is first turned on.

What would be the most cost effective ways to mitigate these two problems? I have looked at the Delta cyclone separator stand kit 50-207 as one way to address the barrell issue, but seek other ideas before I move forward.

Bill, I have the 1.0 HP barrel top DC blower unit mounted on my Wood magazine cyclone. Trash bin is mounted over a plentum attached to which t are seven 6" X 65" filter socks. Trash bin is a 30 gal garbage can. I often use a "Phil Thein " separator ahead of cyclone when using my jointer, or planer. Do a google for "Phil Thein", and look at response titled "Anoter Vote for Phil Thein's' Baffle." Pictures there will help you design a baffle system, which will take much (almost all) of the debris out before it goes to the drum of your DC. Your blower unit was most likely made by Cincinnati Fan. Welcome to the Creek.

Thanks, I think I can picture that, but what is a Wood Magazine cyclone?

I had one of those when they first came out. I drilled 3 holes in the top, screwed in threaded eyes, caulked around the nuts on the eyes, then rigged up a block & tackle to lift it.

@ one time, Delta sold a much more efficient dust collection bag, which made a big difference.

For my needs @ the time, it was a very efficient & good unit.