Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vision getting bad. Tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a pair of these for that problem. I wear them only for that situation where I need "over-unders" as the times are rare for me and not worth having real Rx glasses made this way but they are available from your OD.
    I use cheaters that are built into safefty classes too
    Now I buy all my sunglasses this way too

I have not tried the ones that have the diopter in the top too

wood be handy at times

I'm working on some raised panel beaded drawer fronts today, and I will go try some of your suggestions, especially the more light. I just trimmed a house with mega windows and I noticed that before daylight I had a hard time, was good all day and as it got dark my vision seemed worse, but I just chalked it up to long days. My shop has no windows at all.

Lunch is over, back to the shop......

Same problem here. I have progressive bi-focals.

Anything close up, inside of a cabinet, I just can't focus and see it anymore.

Good Lord!

This might be the only time I'm happy about my vision. I'm SEVERLY nearsighted with astigmatism.

My definition of SEVERLY nearsighted is that DISTANCE is 4" beyond the tip of my nose. Up CLOSE is inside of that . . . No reading glasses needed for me.

I wear glasses from the moment I get out of bed till when I return at night. I really need to get safety glasses for the shop. I talked to my friend where I get my glasses and she said they were not that expensive. My wife didn't understand why I needed safety glasses - I'll need to educate her.

Cheers

Jim

Smile

Maybe a pair of these? When I was a toolmaker all the old guys had them. Now that I'm and old guy, turned 51 yesterday, I'm thinking more and more about them. My eyes are a little different than most folks, I've become near sighted as I've gotten older. So I have excellnt vision w/o glasses up to about 2 feet and pretty good out to 10 or 15, but need glasses most of the time to see much else. Although I passed my drivers exam w/o glasses last week. But I find that after a lot of up close work with out the glasses my distance vision gets much worse. I have to remeber where I put my glasses because it is difficult to find them. My shop is light challenged but I agree more light is a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 03-21-2009 at 4:59 PM. Reason: forgot the pic

Like Chip said, more light. It reduces the size of your pupil, making it more like a pinhole, which would have perfect focus, but you'd need a LOT of light for that.

Yep, what a nasty subject..... its part of aging... I have tons of cheaters all over the house, I trip n stumble over them, yet when I need a pair, can never find them....

some issues at play....

1) Obviously presbyopia is the culprit.... this is not a defect, its not correctable via surgery, its just a normal part of aging.... startting at about 40 - 45..... after about age 65, the eye has NO accommodation remaining, that means you can focus at ONE distance only. Assuming your eye is emmotropic, meaning its focus is fixed at infinity...then you need a diopter correction for every distance you work out...bummer, but if you want to see clear, this is the reality of the situation. How well you have to focus is based on how much detail you need to see for a given task...

2) More light = more contrast = more clarity. Not only does more light increase contrast (which is what we perceive as sharpness) but it also, as correctly stated above, dilates the pupil down, creating a larger depth of field which subjects appear sharp. So more light is critical to assisting this problem...

3) If you need astigmatism correction, this complicates the entire matter....as you now you need scripts at each diopter, or bi / tri focals as others have mentioned. I have also tried a pair of peel-on diopter correctors I put over my safety glasses, very nice, available in 1.5, 2.0 and I think 2.5 diopters. Its like custom bi focals, but with safety protection. The McFeely's link is a good alternative as well, at that price, it pays to keep them all around.

4) Those with mismatched refractive errors in each eye, they also have it rough, as you are forced to get customized correction. This is where the peel-on diopter corrections can be very useful, you can buy 2 pair and swap them over different glasses, customizing your own fix. Of course if you have astigs, then you need custom correction anyway, so it doesn't really matter...

I also have the head system Leigh posted above... its surprisingly very good.... Of course, you mileage may vary, as they are fixed at 65mm IPD (Inter pupilary distance) spacing...so if you have wide spaced (> 70mm), or narrow spaced eyes (<60mm), they will not perform as well.... A hodge podge of things to consider.... nothing beats having the subject you are working on in clear focus...

Nothing like young eyes.... oh well.... Of course at times like this, i.e. doing close work, we envy the nearsighted people.... but considering they can't see at distance, I guess if your eyes fail at infinity focus, you should consider yourself lucky....

Another thing that can really help in any situation is light and lots of it. Even without any correction or magnification adding light can often make things much better. Maybe explore the use of portable lights, headlamps... like a surgeon?

Your so not alone. I recently installed more efficient florescent lighting and almost tripled the amount of fixtures. The old fixtures were strobing and humming, I noticed my eyes would get tired after an hour or so. The new fixtures are simply brighter with a better spectrum and no strobing. The difference was well worth the cost and effort.

Seeing

Some of you older guys (like me) who need lots of light to see good need to be checked for cataracts. They creep up on you and cause the sight to get worse and you don't know you have them. They also cause a loss in seeing the real color. It causes you to believe that colors have lost their luster and aren't as bright as they used to be.
    My brother in law went for two years with a new white car thinking that it was a light tan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    . . . My definition of SEVERLY nearsighted is that DISTANCE is 4" beyond the tip of my nose. Up CLOSE is inside of that . . . No reading glasses needed for me. . . .
    Just a guess, but I'll bet you're younger than 45. My eyes were similar to yours, but now I can focus out to about 6 inches. The downside is that I also use progressive lenses to be able to see from about 10 inches to infinity.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

“Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”
    +1 for more light. It seemed to be in short supply on most jobsites I've been on. I thought at first the LED light on my impact was a gimmick but but time has proven it very helpful as have the flashlights that came with my cordless sets. If you haven't had one recently an eye exam is a good place to start. Knowing what kind of correction is needed is essential and ruling out other causes for poor vision besides old age is a good thing. Vision isn't a static thing especially when you get older- going back for an exam every couple of years helps you keep a handle on it. If it's one eye it can complcate things- it helps to know what you're dealing with. My regular glasses are progressive lenses which are fine for everyday use but don't work so well for me in tight spaces. I have a pair of safety bifocals that do the job and an old pair of cheaters for backup. The lens on the cheaters are narrow enough I can look over the top so you after you get your head out of the cabinet you can stand up, look out, and not feel like you had a real bad night out.

Blog Entries
    I switched to variable focus a number of years ago when my eye doctor suggested trifocals and won't wear anything else. It took about a week to adjust. My current lenses are Ziess gradal lenses and they are great. I can focus from about 10" to infinity just by tilting my head uup or down. They work great except when working over your heat. I haven't tried them upside down yet. For cleaning, I rinse them under the tap with warm water then wet my fingers with hand soap and wipe the lenses with wet soapy fingers, rinse and blow dry. Works great.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute