Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision getting bad. Tricks?

Vision getting bad. Tricks?

Yesterday I was masking the inside of a cabinet so I could paint the face frame, and I could not find a combination that worked. I had my glasses on, had them off, moving back and forth but could just not find anything that worked as it was inside a box and my head had to be where it had to be. I

Frusterating! Any suggestions from those of you with vision challanges?

It sucks to get old. I have tri-focals now, those are lots of fun when you are trying to focus on something and your head moves a bit and its now out of focus. All you can do is to take it slow and have lots of nice light. BTW, I found some safety glasses at woodcraft about 4 months ago that have a built in magnifying lens, I love em. And only about 6 bucks or so.

I have a floater in one eye that bothers me sometimes when i am trying to do fine work. Its more of a distraction than anything else.

I know your problem is very different from mine but this might help as I learned it from an old handyman with poor vision.

He would stop what he was doing and look away from the work while leaving his hands where they were and the look back. Sometimes he would do it a few times in a row and said it "refocused his eyes".

For me it just seems to move the floater out of the way.

He didn't move his head but just moved his eyes away and back again.

My eyes are about the same vision in each,so I've been able to use reading glasses up to 4X. 4X is a little hard to find,but they are out there. Also,I have prescription close up glasses. This is how I can still sharpen 1/64" drill bits with a hand stone. These powerful glasses can make you tired out after while,believe me.

Old pilot's trick is to squeeze eyes shut, really hard. Both eyes. Then look a little off center.

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of these for that problem. I wear them only for that situation where I need "over-unders" as the times are rare for me and not worth having real Rx glasses made this way but they are available from your OD.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I normally wear bifocals

and close up work is nearly impossible.
    I have solved my problem using cheap Walmart reading glasses. I use them in woodworking for close-up work and also like now, on my computer. I also use them when spraying (with safety glasses on top) so I dont risk ruining my real eye glasses.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Hello,
    Yep - reading glasses here also.
    I buy a bunch in different strengths and have them scattered all over the house/shop.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Have you guys explained your vision challenges to your optometrist? A good one should be able to help you. If he can't, look elsewhere. There are many new kinds of eyglasses on the market. They can be expensive, but isn't your vision worth it?

My optometrist is always warning people about the dangers of laser eye surgery. I put him on the pad once and said, "C'mon, you sell glasses so your obviously not going recommend laser eye surgery."

He matter of factly explained he could easily make more money referring people to laser eye clinics. He said if he referred me, whatever I end up paying, he gets half! Touche. It seems he really doesn't have to sell glasses. He can just refer people for a few days and play golf the rest of the week.

Jim Kingshott Glasses

Kingshott recommended in his video getting your optomitrist to make a special pair of wood working glasses. He said normal reading glasses are not what's needed. He said after several experimental pairs, he had a pair made for a 10 inch lower and 30 inch upper focal length. I had a pair made like that and it worked for me until they got broken...bummer.

Something to think about. Discuss the issue with your optomitrist and he/she may be able to help. Good craftsmanship does require good vision.

I repeat,I also have prescription glasses.My eyes are close to the same,so I can get by for a few hours,but I also have some other aspects to my vision that cheap glasses cannot fix,so I recommend prescription glasses too.

Many of the cheap glasses aren't made correctly. I have worked in more than 1 shop. When I haven't had my good glasses on hand is when I have used drug store glasses,but they are not to be recommended for steady use.

Larry, get thee to an Ophthalmologist. I much prefer an Ophthalmologist over an Optimologist. The Ophthalmologist is an MD that specializes in diseases of the eye.

Yes, as you age, you vision becomes less acute, caused by among other things Presbyopia, the hardening of the eye lens. I have both trifocals for daily use, and a pair of "computer reading' glasses. The reading glasses are constructed like bifocals except that the upper part focuses at about arm length, and the lower part is the standard reading lens. I really like them.

Over two years ago my Ophthalmologist diagnosed me with "Epi-retinal membrane" in one eye. The Dr. said it would require surgery eventually, but not until the vision in that eye had deteriorated to about 20/200. So I am guessing that I have a couple years (5?) before the trip to the retinologist. Just another thing to get fixed as we age....

A year ago, while making my workbench, I had a leg kick out of the tenoning jig and "attack" me. Among other things, it left me with a damaged beyond repair lens. Knowing that I would be needing new glasses down the road, I went to the local Lens Crapters for an interim pair. Their product is adequate, but not great, and will work until I go in for a detailed exam.
    Best Regards, Ken

vision

Is part of the problem light related? (head inside the box). If so, try a strap on headlight. Maybe that would take away at least one of the issues. Russ

I didn't read all of the posts but one of the aids that has helped me is to put as much light on the subject as possible. My eyes got so bad that corrective lenses wouldn't help anymore. Got cataracts removed and all is better. I still use the over the head type magnifying glasses once in a while and they work fine in most cases.
    David B

Mo' light!!

Larry, *IF* your vision is otherwise corrected with glasses, MORE LIGHT will certainly help! But, a special pair of *close-up* specs might be a good investment! My no-line bi-focals kinda SUCK for close work!

After age 50, my need for more light while doing close work increased dramatically. Bright Light HELPS dramatically also! For the closest work, with very small parts I have a watch-maker's flourescent magnifier lamp on my workbench. It makes all the difference between *daylight* and *dark*!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!