Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2" ply for shop cabinet carcasses?

1/2" ply for shop cabinet carcasses?

need to build some cheap shop cabinets but dont really want to spend $150+ for the amount of 3/4" plywood i would need, so i thought about using 1/2" ply to save some money. i was just wondering if you guys thought they would hold up

I would think it will depend on what type of cabinet. What will the dimensions be and how will it be used. A large open frame would be better with 3/4, but if it is smaller and will have good bracing (shelving, back support, etc.) then 1/2 may be okay. You also may want to consider if you are dadoing/rabbeting for shelves or back how much you can cut away and still have support. I understand about the price difference, but how long will you use them and what will thye do need to be factored in.

they are going to be 24" tall 12.75" deep and 63" wide divided into 3 sections. the 2 outer sections will have doors and the center section will be open. i plan on building 2 of these right next to each other. they will be used for storage of smaller tools (drills, ros, etc) sandpaper and misc supplies. no really heavy items

the cabinets would look something like this

wall cabinet.jpg

Look at the difference

You can't look at the amount your spending to make the best decision. You have to look at the difference and decide whether the difference is enough to justify the inferior end result. Let's say you would have to spend $150 for 3/4" ply and $120 for 1/2" ply. Ask yourself, is the $30 difference worth the compromise?

I did it and won't do it again. The 1/2" Borg plywood that I used needed substantial bracing to make it both strong, straight, and flat. It was a waste of time and money. Atleast try 5/8" plywood, I had some hanging around from adding a walkway to my attic that seemed to stay flat enough to give it a go the next time I need to build some cheap boxes or cabinets.

Have you been keeping an eye on the borgs?

They occasionally have 3/4" maple/birch or Aruco(sp?) for good prices. The stuff isn't generally suitable for furniture but should be fine for shop cabinets and such. I built some pretty stout cabinet/machine bases out of 2X3's planed and jointed. Formed rabbets around the inside of the frame and glued plywood into the rabbet. 1/2" ply would work fine in an application like that.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-21-2009 at 7:35 PM.

Mike do you have plans for something like this. How much weight can the 1/2 ply support. I want to add some cabinets to store some items in the garage. I was thinking of making it modular and adding 1 or 2 cabinet pieces as I finish them. The first 2 would be cubby holes for the shop vac and the compressor to work out of and then places to put the router and circular saws with blades or bits still attached.

I built my shop cabinets using the cheaper 3/4" ply(CDX??) and tho solid, it twisted enough that it was a PITA to align the drawer slides. After 6+ years most of the slides have failed and I need to buy new, and better, slides and spend the time to shim them so they will work as they should. There are few things that are as maddening as having to redo something that would not be necessary if I had used the appropriate design and materials in the first place. The cost in time and repurchasing materials is much greater than doing it the right, logical way the first time.

If you are concerned with cost and not in too big of a rush to get your "ideal" cabinet design, I would look for recycled,i.e., remodeling throw -aways and use them until you are able to build the style you want. After using the cheapo's for a while you may want to change your design anyway.

If you are going to go cheap, why not use MDF and paint them?

better yet, OSB and forget the doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Lots of ways to skin that cat

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    They occasionally have 3/4" maple/birch or Aruco(sp?) for good prices. The stuff isn't generally suitable for furniture but should be fine for shop cabinets and such. I built some pretty stout cabinet/machine bases out of 2X3's planed and jointed. Formed rabbets around the inside of the frame and glued plywood into the rabbet. 1/2" ply would work fine in an application like that.
    Curt's suggestion is a good one, do it the right way and 1/2" is plenty strong. It's not an all 1/2" or 3/4" propostion either, you can mix the two. Why not use 1/2" for sides and partitions and 3/4' for the bottoms, 1/4" for backs. A 1/4" dado in the sides isn't going to compromise the cabinet.

Mike, I made base cabinets similar to the type you are making except that the height was 30".

I used 3/4" BB plywood. The cabinet is strong, has stayed square and it looks good to boot.

I find that every time I've tried to save a few bucks, I regret it for years..

Regards, Rod.

What materials you can use to get a good result is all in the design. I built some really sturdy wall cabinets out of 1/2" PB.

They are 5' long, 13" deep and 25" tall with 1 divider down the middle and one fixed shelf in each half. The back was dado'd into the sides. The top, bottom and shelves dado'd into the sides and back. Then I topped that off with a 3/4" pine face frame that was also dado'd.

It's plenty strong, and I've had no sagging over the year they've been hanging on the wall. Of course the extra time that went into making them structurally sound with the cheaper material I could have probably built the base cabinets that I haven't gotten around to yet also! LOL

I think its kind of fun to stretch the limits of lesser materials with good engineering, but its not worth working with lumber that's not flat and straight IMO. That drives me nuts!

Mike, I built all of my shop cabinets out of 3/4 plywood. They turned out very strong and true. I went with 1/2 on all of the drawers. Can't go wrong with that set up, and the price difference was not that great for alot more sability over the long run. MK

well i see you guys point about the 1/2 ply and will likely go with something else (3/4" melamine???)

i noticed our kitchen cabinets which are about 20 year old "custom" oak cabinets and really not to bad are made from what appears to be 3/8" particle board. i thought they were nicely made cabinets til i noticed this although there is nothing wrong with them at all. these have real wood 3/4" face frames and the backs appear to be 1/2 thick but look like 2 pieces of 1/4 put together??

is particle board a better material then plywood in the thinner thicknesses (pertaining to warpage and strength)