Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 66

Powermatic 66

My father in law estate is selling a powermatic 66 table saw with a 5hp single phase motor on it. What do you think would be a fair price for me to pay? The saw has a 51 inch cutting area.
    Thanks
    Eddie Simmons

I think you should ask for the special "relative" discount!

But seriously -- I'm surprised you can't get it for free considering your family and all.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Simmons View Post
    My father in law estate is selling a powermatic 66 table saw with a 5hp single phase motor on it. What do you think would be a fair price for me to pay? The saw has a 51 inch cutting area.
    Thanks
    Eddie Simmons

Does the wife's Family LIKE YOU? (Just kidding), ((But, NOT Really!))

The PM66's age and condition means a lot! So does 5hp, single-phase! So does the type of fence on it. Any accessories included? Blades, jigs, fixtures, etc.? Get back to us with the details! PHOTOs would be NICE!

Sight unseen, I would give $250 for it any day! (or Night!) *evil grin*
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

To many brothers and sisters involved. My sweet heart is the in charge of the estate and will. We need to pay a fair price.
    Thanks
    Eddie

$1,000 and up is what ia good one would go for on the open market.

CPeter

What vintage is it? A base line for used machinery in proper working order is 40%-60% of replacement value. This is industry standard according to my accountant. A significant portion of the new sale price is given to the fact that a service warranty is part of the sale. Because you will not be getting a 5 year factory warranty (standard powermatic warranty), there must be a discount even if the tool were unused! Present replacement value for a PM66 is around $2400, so figure $960-$1440 as a range for the basic machine. Factors that influence the actual sale value are age, condition, accessories (which may add value but should also be deflated at a rate more near 40%) and local market demand. I rarely consider used accessories to be of any value in a purchase (blades, jigs, miter gauges, etc). In my family for a purchase of that nature a fair price would run near the bottom of the fair market value as a consideration to the buyer so I would consider $900-$1000 to be a fair price unless there are some serious condition issues, then I would expect to pay less.

i have a 5hp single phase PM66 from 1989. was in working condition when i bought it, but with some table and cabinet rust that had to be cleaned up. had the original fence, but no extension or outfeed tables. bearings, motor, and internals were all good.

i paid 1000.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 03-21-2009 at 8:32 PM.

I was jus Kiddin about the $250! But vintage and condition do have much to do with the value of the saw. More info is needed for this thread to be of help to you.
    PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I bought one with a 3 hp motor and 52" Biesemeyer fence for $1,200 today.

Pm 66

Will be able to take photos on April 4. Hope to bring it home on that day.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Powermatic 66

Was able to get a picture email to me this evening, not a real close picture, but can anyone tell about what year it is?
    Thanks
    EddiePowermatic.jpg

I don't think that saw appears to be all that old. I would think $1,000 would be a fair offer. You could probably get a few hundred more at an auction, but then you would have to pay commission fees. Don't let that saw get away from you. It will last you a lifetime.

Mid to late 90s. The earlier ones had a different switch.

CPeter

That is identical to my PM66. Mine is from year 2000, with a 3HP motor. I paid $1200 used about 2 years ago.
    Wood'N'Scout

Pm 66

Thanks for all the replies.
    Eddie