Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Walnut table hutch - in progress

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Chris, you are certainly correct on that one! From what I understand, about 25% of people have an allergic reaction to walnut. Before I had the DC system, it really gave me fits. I would get flu like symptoms - aching muscles, etc., and, of course, the sinus issues. The DC helps substantially.

Thanks to both you and Greg for the generous comments!
    I got pink eye a few months ago, and I swear it was the walnut I was working with. Wife says that's impossible.

beautiful work, one hundred percent stunning piece.
    congratulations on completing a wonderful project.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I missed the final post.... Excellent work John! And I can only echo what others have said already. Absolutely stunning. I really like the way you did your maker's mark. Very classy!

Thanks again for taking the time to share and produce the Project In Progress - it was very informational and you can believe this thread is going to be saved in to my favorites.....

I wish I had room in my house to build something bigger than boxes....

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the final and in progress work with us.

I'm brand new to SMC and to woodworking (I have to go find a glossary for half the posts here), but that is just an absolutely amazing and beautiful piece of furniture. You are a genuinely skilled craftsman!

6. My hat is off to you sir, great job, what a stunning piece of art. Keep up the good work.
    Rick Mellin

I was shocked to see this thread "rise to the top" again! And, even more surprised to see that it has had over 13,000 views

I can't express this enough - the compliments are humbling, and I am so very appreciative of everyone's kind words. My wife has appropriately filled the drawers and nooks of the hutch. She says it is a secretary because hutches go in the dining room or kitchen and this one is in the den area of the great room?? She may be right. In any event, it has taken its rightful place in our home.

Thanks again for the support - you are great folks, and that is what makes SMC such a great place.

John, the complements are well deserved. Your thread has been an inspiration to many, including me. It gives me hope that once I get my new shop set up, I'll be able to create some furniture. More importantly, your thread shows us all the steps you went through from drawing to end project. You have shared the progress along the way, a process that is very valuable to many. OI'm very glad to hear that the "secretary" has now taken its rightful place in your home. Thank you for sharing your talent and experiences with us.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I was shocked to see this thread "rise to the top" again! And, even more surprised to see that it has had over 13,000 views

I can't express this enough - the compliments are humbling, and I am so very appreciative of everyone's kind words. My wife has appropriately filled the drawers and nooks of the hutch. She says it is a secretary because hutches go in the dining room or kitchen and this one is in the den area of the great room?? She may be right. In any event, it has taken its rightful place in our home.

Thanks again for the support - you are great folks, and that is what makes SMC such a great place.
    A dead tell on your wife is from the south. No southern woman worth her grits is going to call a secretary that goes in a family room or hall a hutch. Hutches go in kitchens and dining areas as she stated. By golly.. if she says it's a secretary in her house.. then it's a secretary and she probably has a rolling pin to back that up if I know my southern women..

Again... excellent job of design.. execution and illustration. I assume all is well from the short juant to the Sunshine State. I bet you miss all that sandy soil and palm trees in lieu of real trees.... huh!

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    By golly.. if she says it's a secretary in her house.. then it's a secretary and she probably has a rolling pin to back that up if I know my southern women..
    Sarge, I was not aware that you knew my wife that well!!!

Each time I travel to FL, I expect some revelation that makes me like hot sun, salt, and sand in my shoes! Never happens!

And, to both you and Don, the piece is now officially the secretary. Whenever my wife talks about it to anyone, it is clear that "she has spoken." I am OK with that

Don, with that new shop you have, it will be a delight for you to get back to some real woodwork, and put all the permits, and delays into distant memories.

Very nice John, I didn't realize it was done... I sort of lose interest in threads that go beyond a page or two (thats a personal issue, not criticizing or anything).

impressive work, and I had to laugh about your comment regarding hiding the flaws well. that seems to be something I am getting better at as well
    fledgling weekend warrior