Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Nightlights

LED Nightlights

I finally got a chance to make 2 nightlights for some college kids. This is my first time using photos on a nightlight, and I'm happy with the way they came out. They are much prettier in person, but the pictures give you the general idea. I only adjusted the photos in photoshop and then imported to Corel to add letters and outline.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Those look fantastic Dee.. Great idea...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

They look great Dee. Did you replace the light on an existing one or make your own from the start?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Dee did you engrave the pics on clear acrylic?
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Dee,

Nice job.....they look great. (BTW.....your customers are much better looking than mine!).

I had made a nightlight a few weeks ago, just to see how it would look. I bought one at Walmart for like $3 and was able to cut a piece of acrylic almost perfectly to fit. It was small (2"x3" or so) but it lit up perfectly.

How did you make yours?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Thanks everyone, these are fun to make. I buy the lights from Jim Good (a member here at the Creek - check him out!) and you get both the base and a 5" x 5" (approx) blank to use so it's very convenient. You can use batteries or buy a small plug dealie from him... his prices are very reasonable. He calls them glowboards and the acrylic is clear, youchoose the color light you want (red, blue, green, white). He also has bigger sizes but I have not tried them.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I've bought quite a few of these from Jim......and everyone loves them.....especially the kids.

The prices are EXCELLENT and the service is.......well, OK it's Jim.......just kidding!

I bought one of his big ones (@ 20"x12"} and I'm dying to try it out....but I'm saving it for just the right project.

Highly, HIGHLY recommend Jim for these.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Dear Dee,

You have the best ideas. I buy the boards from Jim and engrave school mascots on them. They are beginning to sell some now.

Thanks.
    Bob Keyes
    CI Engraving

60 Watt Chinese Laser (yeah,I like it), Corel X3, Engravograph, KM 2550, Heat Press.

They look great Dee!

I too have bought these from Jim, you can't beat them for what they are!

Great for night lights or holiday stocking stuffers.

I really like the mini ones too.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Perfect idea + perfect results !

Engraved on clear acrylic ? No paintworks on engraved areas ? I didnt understant how the engraved image on "clear acrylic" becomes visible with led light ?
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Onur.....you don't know what you're missing if you haven't done any edge lit acrylic! Use cast acrylic and the frosted parts glow incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Onur.....you don't know what you're missing if you haven't done any edge lit acrylic! Use cast acrylic and the frosted parts glow incredibly well.
    what is "cast" acrylic ?
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Onur,

When you engrave into the acrylic it creates a frosted "rut" with the light shining up throught the edge of the acrylic it hits the frosted "rut" an illuminates it. This is a great effect for not alot of bucks. you can change the color of the light or the color of the acrylic for different effects.

If you do a web search for edge lit acrylics you'll see many exmples of this. This is a great tool for advertisers.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I finally got a chance to make 2 nightlights for some college kids. This is my first time using photos on a nightlight, and I'm happy with the way they came out. They are much prettier in person, but the pictures give you the general idea. I only adjusted the photos in photoshop and then imported to Corel to add letters and outline.
    Hey Dee,
    What did you end up charging for those? What DPI for photo and PPI settings for laser? I did some last year and the acrylic started to cup. I may have ran it a little deeper/hotter than it could handle. You don't have much room to play with using 2mm acrylic. Just curious!

Thanks for sharing and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by onur cakir View Post
    what is "cast" acrylic ?

The opposite of extruded acrylic!!!!! LOL!!!

There are two kinds of clear acrylic.....cast (which engraves frosted) and extruded (which engraves almost totally clear and you can only really see it by color filling).

Mike, I use my standard acrylic settings, but Jim advised me to back off slightly on the power when engraving.....if the bottom (or the edge closest to the LEDs) is too deep, the light won't be able to travel through the acrylic to the outer edges.