Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone build Joe's CNC kit?

Rob,
    Thanks for weighing-in! I don't know if you have to be insane to get in or you go nuts once you get there. I'll qualify under either. I was looking at the Vectric website while you were posting and better understand what you're saying. It seems then, that going from SU to the CAM is not as elegant as using the Vectric combo programs that have CAD and CAM integrated. Would the SU Pro version make it an easier process? But then SU Pro isn't free and you would have to compare that cost and the addition of a CAM program with the all-in-one of Vectric.

SU to CAM must not be done that often - I don't anyone talking about it.
    I saw your Youtube video about a dovetails. Cool!
    Rob

I use 3D sketchup models all the time from the 3d Google warehouse when I am doing true 3D work - I export them to STL and then you can import them into Cut3D, Aspire or CamBAM. The biggest issue with Sketchup to Stl is that is creates a faceted model - so if you have a hole in a 3d model - it really isn't a true hole and can have some issues. for "artistic" stuff it is great! I use a smoothing command in aspire to get rid of the facets and for this type of work it is fine.

Here is an Easter Island Mogli that I grabbed off of the 3d warehouse and cut to give you an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Got my MDF carriages CNC machined yesterday. My friend Jason will also make up my HDPE pieces next week. Time to flush trim the tabs off the mdf and sand them up.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I built the 4x4 first as the original lead screw version and then as a Rack & Pinion upgrade. I posted an extensive, detailed build log on the Joescnc forum. I also posted a less detailed build log on cnczone. Shortly after I posted there the joe's site took a sharp upturn in new builds.

I think the reason cnc machines have increased is because of the Carveright and the Shark both being available in some highly visible sources. Once folk buy these and have a taste of CNC they want bigger machines. That is where the Joescnc, mechmate and shopbots come into the picture. My original build cost me about $2000 including Mach3. My rack and pinion upgrade cost me about $500 dollar (most of which I recovered by selling my old parts). Average budget is 2-3 thousand dollars.

Rack and pinion costs about the same as leadscrews and in my opinion is the better system. If you think you might like R&P system then I suggest you build it right from the start. Joe offers both kits.

Lastly, there is a new option available for about $1000 which can be bought instead of the MDF kit from joe. Castcnc makes a cast aluminum set which replaces the x,y. and z carriages. Both a leadscrew and R&P version are available. Early reports look good.

Bill

My machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bill, you look like you are having fun!!! having met joe in dallas and seeing how he feels about these routers and the guys who build them then it is easy to understand why so many are so proud of them!! i know what you mean about the taste for a larger machine, i bought a carveright and six weeks later i bought a 4x8 camaster, i still may build the joes just to have one!!

jim
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 05-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Also any parts you guys have available for a Joe's R&P build let me know.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm going to revive this thread for because I've been really contemplating building the 4x4 R&P Hybrid. It seems hard to beat for the money. The thing I like most is it is 4ft on the X axis. I think this is the biggest advantage vs the other "hobbyist" units simply because you can do a 4x8 piece if you're creative enough with your programming and registering where the sheet should be on the table.

I have to say, the thing I like least about the whole machine is how the forum is completely locked unless you buy the plans. It seems because the forum exists, a lot of the information I'd like to read about is locked away. I'd love to get a better taste of what's involved, what I'm going to want to upgrade, and get a better feel for the project. With that said, I don't want to spend $100 to read some things I don't like and decide to go a different route.

Any of you 4x4 guys have any interesting ramblings or statements to add to your statements of the past?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

i am in those forums and have a set of plans might build a 4x8 somedayjust for the fun of it. my point is the forum is worth it, if you have ever met joe and i have, you might agree the price and all that is provided with the forum etc. is tooo low

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I'm going to revive this thread for because I've been really contemplating building the 4x4 R&P Hybrid. It seems hard to beat for the money. The thing I like most is it is 4ft on the X axis. I think this is the biggest advantage vs the other "hobbyist" units simply because you can do a 4x8 piece if you're creative enough with your programming and registering where the sheet should be on the table.

I have to say, the thing I like least about the whole machine is how the forum is completely locked unless you buy the plans. It seems because the forum exists, a lot of the information I'd like to read about is locked away. I'd love to get a better taste of what's involved, what I'm going to want to upgrade, and get a better feel for the project. With that said, I don't want to spend $100 to read some things I don't like and decide to go a different route.

Any of you 4x4 guys have any interesting ramblings or statements to add to your statements of the past?
    Ross,

In the time you have taken deciding, you could have built the machine. I realize that buying the plans and logging into the site is a big leap of faith, but I am willing to bet you that within 7 days of browsing around the Joescnc.com site, you will be in information overload.

You will have to decide if you want to build stock, leadscrews, ballscrews, rack and pinion, belt drive or warp drive. Wooden base, strut base, metal tube base, pool table base, cement block base. Cast aluminum sides, aluminum plate sides Delrin sides or MDF side. Router, Chinese spindle, Laser cutter, plasma cutter. Touch probe, laser sites, vacuum table, T-track, cam clamps, dust shoes, lighted dust shoes, dust collector cyclone separater, Bobble heads, Wooden energy chain, Igus chain, Mach3, EMC, Featurecam, Geckodrive, Hobbycnc, Kelling......Etc., etc., etc.....

All these things and more are documented in full photographic detail by the members.

If you are not convinced yet than I am wasting my breath. I hope you take the plunge. Come on in. The waters fine.

Bill

Ross,

One more thing. Here is what I would build if I were doing it all over from scratch.

A 4'x8' Rack & Pinion machine with a welded tube base, Individual Gecko drive units, Dust collection shoe with interchangeable brushes, Vacuum table, auto edge and Z setter, XBox 360 controller and aluminum Z axis with a Chinese spindle.

Bill

James: I have no issue with the pricing. $100 is not a lot of money for a good set of engineered plans and a link to a forum. It costs money to run a site, it costs money to engineer a good set of plans, and in the end the money is not really the issue. I just wish the forum had one section open for potential customers to read posts & write ups about the machines. Right now I feel like I'm only able to get my toes in the water and I'd rather in up to my ankles before I drive right in.

Bill: Thanks for your response. Right now, I don't think I could fit much more than a 4x4. I have the sq ft for a bigger machine, but our shop is setup strange with a lot of different rooms which our landlord will not let us change. As a result, I can find space for a 4x4 unit but a 4x8 would push it. I'm sure the difference in price between the machines is not much, but I just don't think I have the space.

As for the forums/machine. I completely understand where you are coming from. It's why I like the idea of using this machine. A lot of options with an enthusiast following. Not to mention it has a great price point of roughly $5k for a basic, but complete setup.

In my head I think I would order the R&P MDF & HDPE from Joe but I may go for the CastCNC option once I get a better idea of budgetary numbers. I also was curious about using aluminum sides with derlin or MDF laminated in the middle. I thought it would be a nice compromise. As for router vs spindle, in my "limited" research I've heard mixed opinions on the Chinese spindles, but then again, I bet on the forum there are 10+ guys running the same spindle from a certain supplier that offers great service for a good price. As for the electronics, I'm more of a mechanical guy than an electrical guy so I defer to the experts on that subject. I do know I'm going with a proven setup regardless. I'm not hunting down eBay deals and then troubleshooting the issues afterwards. I've learned my lessons in the past doing this with things I shouldn't. I'm also fairly sure I will look into making some sort of clamping table but I'm almost certain a vacuum table is not in the cards at the moment. We'll see in the end. My biggest concern is not necessarily building the machine or even using the CNC machine. My biggest concern is after I take whatever I cut out and finishing it so it looks great. I have to admit, my finishing work is mediocre at times. Especially when we are talking about paint.

Keith: Virginia is not close, but not far. I'll keep it in mind and if/when I decide to buy Joe's plans, I'll look them over and contact you. Obviously excellent quality rack and bearings are always a great find. I'm fairly sure most people use rack from McMaster and I'm sure NASA rack is a little bit better than that.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

joes 4X4

Just finished the 4x4 r&p still learning how to use it dont know how long the build actually took i modified the base greatly and other parts a little joining the forum is worth the money the plans are almost a bonus physically and mechanically it wasnt a problem computerwise i was in way over my head just not my world yet had two experts advising and explaining one has a masters in computers and the was literally a rocket scientist had an early shopbot about 10 yrs ago and this is a far better tool than that shopbot counting the software and electronics have about 2750 invested could not touch it in a ready built machine for less than 15000 however i am semi retired and have many many hours invested another upside is i know every nut bolt etc involved ted

Hey Ted,

Someday when I'm not so flippin' busy, I'd love to come visit and take a look at your build. I'm only techically in N. Georgia, so it's a couple hours drive to come see you...

Love to see some pix though.. got a camera?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Hey Ted,

Someday when I'm not so flippin' busy, I'd love to come visit and take a look at your build. I'm only techically in N. Georgia, so it's a couple hours drive to come see you...

Love to see some pix though.. got a camera?

+1 on wanting to see some pics !!!