Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone build Joe's CNC kit?

1. Mike, it sounds really great!

I'm more nerveous about the mechanical part of the build.. that's because i have very little experience using my hands to build something. Sadly, my dad hasn't passed much of his skills to me (instead of teaching how to do things, he just did the himself). However, i really like building something and truly be a part of it. I think it's part of the experience. The electronics.. well, that dosen't deter me at all. I love playing with electronics and am no stranger to a soldering iron. I actually look forward to build the electronics part and test the motors by playing Super Mario on them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh2AWswAMvw ..

Mike, allthough i think 400 + 300 USD is quite some money, i'm sure it is worth it in the end. I think it's a matter of knowing ones limits and also take into account how nice i could make it myself.. A shorter build time means i can start work myself faster.. i'm sure that i can find some small jobs to pay for it. Seems like noone really provides a CNC service to non-commercial purposes without having to make 10 units in my country.. I've had some requests already to help with some projects..

However, everything adds up.. i think we are clearly in the 4k range now.. but it would be one heck of a machine, i'm sure.

$4K for a 62"X49" cutting area machine is cheap though. I doubt $4K buys a stinger or the shop bot desktop.

You can build cheaper ones for sure but this is a crazy nice DIY machine. Mechmates are awesome too but that is $8K or more and a whole class heavier machine.

Look at that cncrouterparts build too - it looks sweet.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

3. Well, it's not that i would say it's expensive - you get alot for your money as i understand - but 4k is still 4k..

However, i believe that the machine can pay for itself rather quickly..

Now, if only i could find a way to make some design-patterns (http://bit.ly/uh2ij0) onto metal foil (perhaps a roller?), i would be able to do my own DIY needs..

4. Just had some fun putting together some parts for a machine, mainly the electronics.. i have chosen some NEMA 34 steppres, individual Gecko drives and a chinese spindle and VFD.. I'm very surprised how much the electronics is going to cost. However, i've also picked some quite exotic steppers and power supply..

http://www.kelinginc.net/ :

• G201X from Geckodrive Inc7A, 80V, purchased with a motor
    107.00 4 $428.00
    • KL34H280-45-4A
    89.00 1 $89.00
    • KL34H295-43-8B
    105.00 3 $315.00
    • KL- 6520 65VDC/20A
    189.00 1 $189.00
    • KL-2200 Milling Spindle
    409.00 1 $409.00
    • KL-VFD22
    199.95 1 $199.95
    • C34KL-Driver to RJ45 $3
    3.00 3 $9.00
    • C35 Breakout Borad
    38.67 1 $38.67
    • E-Stop
    9.95 1 $9.95
    Item total:$1,687.57

CNC Routerparts:

CRPXXXX Custom Size Machine Kit

- Machine Size CRP4896 4' x 8'
    - Version Nema 34 Compatible

$1,301.50

So, already at 3k and no shipping, no base, no case for the electronics, and missing all the parts mentioned in the CRPXXXX custom size kit in addition to wireing, terminals, shipping..

I'll admit i've gone a bit overboard, but i've spent countless hours thinking about this project.. It's so fascinating watching how a drawing can be realized using a CNC. I talked to some good friends, which had some contacts in a small business. They actiually wanted to hire me to route some high end cabinets in MDF.. So i've got the idea, the customers, the interest.. now, if only i could find some 24k gold in my front yard, i would be all set