Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Woodworking Needs Advice on Clamps

When i needed a lot of clamps in a hurry, I went to Lowes and bought (12) Bessey 3/4" pipe clamp for $15 or so each. Then bought (6) 60" threaded-on-both-ends black iron pipe for around $8 each, cut each one of them half, and had (12) 30" clamps for roughly $230 before tax.

I just didnt want to spend $30 a clamp on K bodies at the time. I prefer the Bessey pipe clamps because they already have a pad on them and the built in feet keep it standing up right. I saw $12 clamps at Woodcraft, but they needed the combo pad/feet thingies for an additional $5 per clamp. Not really a savings there.

Quote Originally Posted by jason tuck View Post
    When i needed a lot of clamps in a hurry, I went to Lowes and bought (12) Bessey 3/4" pipe clamp for $15 or so each. Then bought (6) 60" threaded-on-both-ends black iron pipe for around $8 each, cut each one of them half, and had (12) 30" clamps for roughly $230 before tax.
    How did you cut the black iron pipe?

Like most things in woodworking we all have our own way of looking at a "Method of Work"

For cheap I like rubber inner tube straps. Once I clamped a bunch of columns this way. Just wrap tight. Tape works to clamp some miters. For big mitered plywood cubes I used lot's of webbing band clamps.

I started with wood hand screws, c- clamps and 1/2" pipe clamps. For pipe clamps get the multiple-disc clutch type. The cheaper single lever type need more fiddling.

I still reach for 1/2" pipe clamps and hand screws the most. I haven't tried any parallel jaw(K-body) yet as I don't see why it could any better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Berryman View Post
    How did you cut the black iron pipe?
    Lowes and Home depot will cut black iron pipe and thread it free of charge.

At lowes, you should buy the contractor pack that's 10' long for a savings, then cut it to size or use adapters to connect two smaller sections for large glue ups.

I bought some HF 3/4" pipe clamps and got iron pipe from lowes. They work great together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ellis View Post
    Another place to look for clamps is on Craigslist.
    +1

I got all of my Bessey K bodies on CL for very cheap, although that doesn't help if you need 'em for a glue up now. I've also picked up a few of the Jet K body clones and, frankly, like those a lot better. Haven't tried the redesigned K bodies.

I got a 6 K-body Bessey clamps, a dozen+ of F-clamps various sizes, 6 quick clamps and a bunch of C-clamps. I find the C-clamps least useful and I reach for my F clamps most of the time.

K-clamps are great but now I think regret not having spent that money on 3 times as many F-Clamps.

Pricewise, if you live close to Canada, Canadian Tire has sales on clamps every now an then. I paid from $5 for 8" to $11 CDN for 32" F-Clamps of decent quality.

While you're checking all the good info others have given you about what clamps to look at, don't overlook Kreg components to turn your workbench into a clamping table similar to the one Kreg sells. I inlaid 2 Kreg clamping traks and several insert plates around my existing workbench and made my woodworking life 100% easier. IMHO, installing these items in you exisiting workbench makes for better utility at a lot less cost.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20269

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4770
    Last edited by Mick Zelaska; 03-23-2009 at 3:22 PM.
    “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of Jorgie (and off brand) f-style clamps in various sizes. They do get used by not near as much as my Bessy K-body and Uni-clamp styles. I have over a dozen pipe clamps that have been hanging on the same rack for almost 2 years. When you need them, they are the best but for me most of the time, they are stored.

In general I would say in order of frequency of use (meaning any time I grab one) I would say:

Bessy mighty-mini
    4" and 6" f-style
    18" - 24" Uni or K-body
    6" Irwin Quick Grips
    Larger Quick Grips
    Longer K-body
    Large f-style

Your mileage will most certainly vary.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I signed up for Peachtree's free Friday sale e-mail and buy the Parallel Pro Clamp when they are on sale.
    While I usually only look for clamps I've found hey have great end of week sales on lots of stuff.

- Brad

If you are going to get F-clamps (and I know you will), you won't find a better clamp than Wetzler's (www.wetzler.com). Not only can you get these clamps in whatever length you want, you can get them in whatever depth you want. I've picked up an assortment of these clamps, all with a 4" reach, and I'm constantly amazed how often that extra reach comes in handy.

They are built like a tank. The heads are shaped so you can put them on their head once the glue up is done, and they will stay put. Also, they don't rely on that tab-clutch mechanism to keep the jaws in place. They are manufactured so that all you have to do is slide the jaw to where you want it, and it stays.

Here's a pair of action shots:

I get flak for this, but I've never regretted dropping $20-30 on a set of 6 el-cheapo F-clamps from ebay. They're no substitute for the beefier pricier k-body style clamps, but they're low profile, and a great supplement to your arsenal. I reach for my 12" all the time for everything from holding jigs in place to supplementing long glueups.

I like them in lengths under 24". Longer than that, they start to flex. Also, they're harder to wrestle with on wider glueups than pipe clamps or kbodys that can be laid on their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Clarkston View Post
    I signed up for Peachtree's free Friday sale e-mail and buy the Parallel Pro Clamp when they are on sale.
    While I usually only look for clamps I've found hey have great end of week sales on lots of stuff.

- Brad
    I got to handle these clamps from PT this weekend. I was not all that impressed.
    Two handed operation to open the jaws, the threads were not a beefy as the Bessey's and no warranty(to my knowledge)
    They might be good for light duty, but I would question longevity. MHO

Bottom line: Get what you think you need and what feels right to you. You'll know it in your heart when you pick up that clamp and a jolt of excitement runs through you.... Sorry, I went a little off topic there. You know what I mean
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 03-23-2009 at 5:22 PM.

These are an amazing value. http://www.grizzly.com/products/36-H...F-Clamps/H2621They are holding up well. Similar to the Wetzler's.

+1 Wilbur.

My father picked up a collection of Wetzler F style clamps at an estate sale in the early fifties. Some of them are very old yet they still work great. They've since been handed down to me in the mid seventies and I've been adding to the collection. I've never seen them on sale and I guess there not that economical. You should treat yourself and get at least two Wetzlers. I think the company was sold some years back but the quality IMO is as good or better.

I also have a set of Jet parallels that seems to be growing. I was given a set of twelve 3/4" pipe clamps which for my needs are worthless. Doing a wide glue up I was unable to control the pipes tendency to bow and distorting the glue up. I stopped the glue up and sent away for six long Wetzlers.

I'm sure there are other F style bar clamps that cost less and do just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Roberge View Post
    I got to handle these clamps from PT this weekend. I was not all that impressed.
    Two handed operation to open the jaws, the threads were not a beefy as the Bessey's and no warranty(to my knowledge)
    They might be good for light duty, but I would question longevity. MHO

Bottom line: Get what you think you need and what feels right to you. You'll know it in your heart when you pick up that clamp and a jolt of excitement runs through you.... Sorry, I went a little off topic there. You know what I mean

Your correct there not Bessey's but there also not priced as a Bessy and when there 50% off or buy one get one free it's an ok buy if your on a budget like me.

I haven't had any problems opening or closing the jaws but that might be me. The biggest issue I have with them is the pads are rubber and will leave oil on the wood if you do not use a peace of scrap between the project and clamp heads.

- Brad