Thread: Crib...

Crib...

I had the joy of building a crib for my best friend. He has recently had a little girl. I thought it would be nice to build him and his wife a crib like I had built my son. It also got me into my shop for a few days...

I started planning a few months after she got preg. and life took a turn for a few months and I just finished. She came out 6 weeks ago, which was about 6 weeks early, and I just delivered it this weekend. Both Mom and Dad are pretty happy with how it turned out so I am happy. It was a suprise for Mom but I didn't want to build anything without Dad's approval.

The wood is 'special' cherry which I got at a pretty good discount but it has some really nice figure. I finished with a few coats of spray dewaxed shellac and then 4 to 5 coats of wiped on original waterlox.

Here are some pix. They are a bit bluish but I am working on getting some better pix to upload.

That looks great Greg and you did a nice job on a special need job.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    Ecellent work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice looking job. The color of the front boards are great.

Nice job Greg! I think the cherry has a lot of character, and looks like you were able to work around any defects pretty well.

On the pics, you will get a better exposure if you get away from the window backlighting.

Looks like a lot of M&T work!

Thank for the compliments. Here are a few more pictures which display the cherry a little bit better. There is a bit of sapwood right on the front top and bottom rail. I cut those out of one piece so they should match up but I was pressed with time and only had so much wood. Guess it serves me right to only buy exactly what I need.

Great job for a FLAT BOARDER.

However, coming from a "spinner", I like spindles instead of slats.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Thank for the compliments. Here are a few more pictures which display the cherry a little bit better. There is a bit of sapwood right on the front top and bottom rail. I cut those out of one piece so they should match up but I was pressed with time and only had so much wood. Guess it serves me right to only buy exactly what I need.

Looks really nice Everyone should be so lucky to have a crib like that. The only I would've done differently is to swap the pieces for the top and bottom. That way the grain would flow better with the curve in the bottom, and the top grain would flow in a way that would echo the arch in the back. Not a flip or anything, just move the pieces in their current orientation (slide up/down) I'm building a cherry crib right now and I feel like half my time has been spent just looking at the grain to see what would should go where. Hopefully mine turns out as well as yours .

shellac and hardware

Your project looks like it turned out very well. You better be careful or else you'll find yourself taking commissions from expecting mothers!

Couple questions:
    I am not very savvy on what is acceptable for finishing a piece that will come in contact with infants. A quick google search made me aware that at least some shellacs are acceptable though. How did you choose?

Second, did you buy the brackets from a local shop? Is it part of a crib kit?

Thanks!
    -matt h.

Matt,
    I bought a kit from rockler that included the mattress spring and the white plastic pieces which allow the front to go up and down.

Shellac is safe for kids and I believe that all varnishes are safe for kids after they have cured. The topic has been discussed quite a bit over in the finishing forum so a quick search over there might turn up a lot more info.

I need to take some commissions from my wife so that I can get some more shop time. It is hard to come by with a 1 year old and 2 little puggies.

Greg

What a nice gesture! Something they can use for future "tenants" and pass on to their kids when it's their turn to be parents!
    I love everything about it except for the sap wood on the top and bottom rails. It looks like you've tried to celebrate the sap wood by featuring it in the centers and in a mirror image. It looks fine now but for my tastes, there will be too sharp a contrast between the 2 colors once the cherry takes on it's beautiful patina, in a year or two. I work almost exclusively in cherry, I once made a gun cabinet with some sap wood here and there throughout. Kicking myself now for using it every time I visit my friend's house and see it. Not meaning to criticize your work this is just my own personal taste.

Great work and a wonderful gift!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bruce,
    I can certainlly understand you want things to be turned but I only have a mini-lathe right now and am still learning.

Jim,
    Like i said I am not too happy with the sap wood on the front but I do figure that the front of the bed will be gone in a few years.

The bed is a 3 step bed. Crib, then day bed, then it will turn into a full size bed. The front comes off to make the day bed so all is not lost.

Greg

Beautiful piece, an heirloom for sure. Personally, I like the sapwood. lol
    We have but one chance at every moment that passes by.

Greg, I apologize, I didn't see your explanation on the sapwood. My bad.