Thread: Grandbaby Cradles

Grandbaby Cradles

I have to date made three of my four grandchildren each a cradle, the fourth to be made soon. All of them are glider cradles that can be converted to a glider bench when they outgrow the cradle stage. The front of the cradle can be removed and stored under the seat where it is sealed up until they use it for their own children. When I seal the front under the seat I also seal a letter from Grandpa in there with it for them to find, even though I hay have "fallen off the pirch" by then, I thought it would be a neat thing for them to discover some day. This cradle is made of QSWO and all of them are personalized with a name plate. The name plate on this one is made of bubinga with the letters cut through to expose the hard maple beneath.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We have but one chance at every moment that passes by.

Jack,
    Looks great, and will be a wonderful long term gift. Is this your design or are there plans for this?

I saw a picture of a glider cradle once and this is a design I came up with. My daughter makes the matress pad/seat pad for me.

That is awesome. Very sentimental, and great use of the design for its 'post cradle' life.

Is this your design? I would be very interested in a copy of the design.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I do all my designing in my head so there are none printed . lol But here are some construction photos that may help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice and a very clever design with the conversion to a bench. I wing my plans also. Someone asked me once for my plans.. I took a picture of 3 sheets of note-pad with crooked lines and numbers written in various places and posted them as somewhat of a joke... The reply was.. "Huh".........

Excellent job as I don't believe I have ever seen a crib done in QSWO and it looks nice indeed.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    Very nice design. I don't see any signs of mechinaical fasteners, so how is the front gate held in place for the cradle stage? Is it only fastened from the bottom?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jack,

The cradles are beautiful, but the hidden letter brought tears to my eyes, they're lucky Grandchildren to have such a thoughtful Granddad.
    Linda Tetreault
    Laser Impressions
    Epilog Mini 45 watt
    Corel X5

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That is really a great idea.
    I made one cradle for my first granddaughter and so far it’s had three, going on four, grandkids through it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney