Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Dado set

Inexpensive Dado set

Spent nearly all my money on a saw (Powermatic 66). The saw came with a good blade, Forest WW II 40T. I need a decent dado set and I can't afford to spend $300. I am looking at the Delta 7670 ($120), the Northwood ($100) and what appears to be the Northwood on eBay without the fancy aluminum case ($80).

I plan on using it initially to cut a narrow, shallow (1/4x1/4") rabbit in plywood but want something that I will use for other projects.

I have the Oshlun set. Really nice, good reviews and not a lot of $$.

https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1

They have a 6" and 8"
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 03-23-2009 at 2:25 PM.

Freud has several 6" and 8" dados in a lower price bracket, a couple under $100:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...dado&x=12&y=15
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Inexpensive

This set seems to work good for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44566

only $40 on sale right now.

I was really impressed with the DeWalt (now Delta) 7670 set for the price. Grizzly has it on sale for $90 (plus s/h).

Edit: I have not tried the Oshlun set that has received several recommendations, but I was favorably impressed with the Oshlun 10" 40T as a great value, and was very impressed by the Systimatic Superfine 8DS42-SFINE set that the Oshlun's design mimics. Don't forget the "SMC10" 10% discount code from Holbren if you order one.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-23-2009 at 2:04 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I second the oshlun set. For the money I think it is a heck of a deal. Some have compared it to the $300 systimatic set. It leaves very flat bottoms, cuts melamine fine as well. I am suprise it was so inexpensive. We will see how it holds up. I have only had mine a short time. But for under $80 that is a really good deal.

The Harbor Freight set looks like the Northwood/eBay one.

I ordered one. Came out to about fifty bucks to my door. Thanks!

I have several HF saw blades. They are inexpensive. I get the 40 or 60 tooth 10" for around $10 a blade if you catch them on sale. They work great with no appreciable dulling yet. Additionally if I hit a screw or nail, I am only out $10.

HF set

I bought my current dado set from HF sold under the name Avenger. It appears to be the same as the Olshun set. I have had it for 3 years now. Cuts a great dado but the copper shims tend to wind themselves into the abor. Ad a dessicant bag to the box, they tend to pick up rust.

I have the DeWalt stacked dado set and have been quite happy with it. I think it was around $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Johnsey View Post
    Spent nearly all my money on a saw (Powermatic 66). The saw came with a good blade, Forest WW II 40T. I need a decent dado set and I can't afford to spend $300. I am looking at the Delta 7670 ($120), the Northwood ($100) and what appears to be the Northwood on eBay without the fancy aluminum case ($80).

I plan on using it initially to cut a narrow, shallow (1/4x1/4") rabbit in plywood but want something that I will use for other projects.

Get the Freud 8 inch set. It leaves flat bottoms in the dado. Andy

Freud...

I have the Freud 8in dado set...It is nice!! I have just recently purchased it...I have used it probably ten times and I couldnt be happier, at least I dont think so : ) It was 95$ before tax and they see it at the BORG!! Convenient!!

John G

Purchased the Dewalt and thought it a good value. Years of occasional use without a sharpen.

Interesting, it appears that the Oshlun, Northwood and HF are the same product sold under names . . . and different prices.

Ditto the Freud set. I have that one too... And I know it didn't cost a lot 'cause I'm a cheap tool collector.....