Thread: New handle for a tang gouge

New handle for a tang gouge

I needed a shallow gouge, so ordered a Henry Taylor from Lee Valley. The steel seems fine, but the handle was a mess - mounted crooked; cracked and reparired at the factory; loose ferrule, and poor shape and finish. Lee Valley said they would have been glad to take it back, but I decided to just make a replacement. I know this is no big feat, but I thought I'd mention the possibility for the benefit of SMC neo-neanders that don't know what a deal might be had at flea markets and tools show, eBay etc. if you're able to make your own for tangs that lost their wood. I have no lathe, by the way, so any symmetry is accidental! Just used rasps and a bit of copper pipe for the ferrule. As I have no plans to hit this one (it will see service paring wedged tenons on chairs), it is shaped for paring rather than driving.

Last edited by Sean Hughto; 04-19-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Nice!

I see surprisingly few tanged chisels around here - socket chisels predominate, except in carving chisels (which are pretty rare).

Realy nice work! It sure look better than the original!
    thank you for that post, not every body know that it's possible to shap handles with out a lathe.
    David