Thread: Rehabbing Stanley Everlasting #20 chisel set

Rehabbing Stanley Everlasting #20 chisel set

I just got this set of Stanley Everlasting #20s. They're in great shape with the exception of the wood being missing from the handles. Any suggestions on how to put new handle wood on these? I know the originals were press-fitted, but I don't know if I can pull them apart and re-press-fit them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    J.D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting problem....I can't advise you from experience but here's an idea:

Cut a square piece of turning stock in half lengthwise, glue it back together with a layer of paper in between. Drill your center hole. Turn your handle. Split parts and epoxy back together. Again - I've never done it but this is what comes to mind.

Going to be a nice set when you're done.

Ken, I think the problem might be getting the socket part in since the striking head will prevent it from sliding in next to the shaft. I suppose I could do a multi-segmented handle. Hmmm. It is indeed an interesting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Dolan View Post
    I know the originals were press-fitted,...
    Are you sure? I have one and it looks like it's pinned in place. I recall seeing a patent drawing that seemed to show the same thing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

- Rob
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.