Thread: Replacement parts question; Where?

Replacement parts question; Where?

This is a very specific question but I'm also looking for input on where everyone gets replacement parts for their tools.

I lent out my Porter Cable drywall driver last fall. I just got around to using it for the first time since and found the bit holder was stripped out. There's a little metal clip that holds the bits in and it's been ground out by not having the bits fully engaged. I've attached a picture to show the part. A search online has yielded a bunch of places that carry this but they all want $5-12 for shipping a $9-$10 part.

www.ereplacementparts.com has the best shipping but this got me wondering where everyone suggests I look for replacement parts.

I used to live 10 minutes from a large service center and didn't realize how nice that was.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harbor Freight has a magnetic one for a dollar or two. But you'll still have to pay shipping. If you look around, you might be able to find a bunch of other small items to make the shipping cost worth your time. Latex gloves and toggle clamps are two items I've found to be the cheapest there without having to worry about quality.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    This is a very specific question but I'm also looking for input on where everyone gets replacement parts for their tools.

I lent out my Porter Cable drywall driver last fall. I just got around to using it for the first time since and found the bit holder was stripped out. There's a little metal clip that holds the bits in and it's been ground out by not having the bits fully engaged. I've attached a picture to show the part. A search online has yielded a bunch of places that carry this but they all want $5-12 for shipping a $9-$10 part.

www.ereplacementparts.com has the best shipping but this got me wondering where everyone suggests I look for replacement parts.

I used to live 10 minutes from a large service center and didn't realize how nice that was.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

I dont know about the metal clip part inside but this looks like a standard bit holder that can be puchased in just about every hardware store in America. Most are magnetic
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I guess I should have stated that this isn’t your standard adapter as it has to hold the bits very securely. The issue with the magnetic types is the driver bits can be left in the screw when you’re done driving it. This can be frustrating when you’re putting in thousands of screws. The little wire clip held the detent for the bits so securely I had to actually use pliers to get them out.

I’m going to give our local Ace Hardware a call this morning as I’ve actually purchased the magnetic versions of these in the past.

Thanks,
    Wes

+1 These days I deal with a retailer about 40 minutes away that has a service department. I call first .......... if they don't have the part they order it- takes a week or less usually and they can get parts for most of the brands they carry. No shipping charges. Maybe there's a retailer within a reasonable driving distance from you that will do the same. Pre B&D buyout the Delta/PC service center was excellent. Large parts inventory and good service- they knew their product. The service center was closed and merged into the B&D/DeWalt service center and imho parts and service suffered.

Might this work?

In my experience, Lee Valley's products are high quality, and their customer service good: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...411,43417&ap=1

No affiliation except a moderately frequent, satisfied customer.

Bill, thanks for the link.

The issue with this is the holder can't be more than ≈3/8" diameter as it has to fit inside this nose piece.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the $6 shipping.

Thanks,
    Wes

8. DeWalt DW2045, about 5 bucks from Home Despot.

I just happen to have one in front of me here, I've used them for years, and never had a problem with the tips falling out, as you say, often I have to use pliers to remove them.

Edit, just measured it, it's a hair bigger than 3/8, maybe 7/16, but for the price and availability, worth a shot
    Last edited by Duncan Horner; 03-24-2009 at 9:44 PM.