Thread: #1MT vs #2MT

#1MT vs #2MT

Still deciding what lathe to purchase, is there a big difference in a #1MT compared to a #2MT.... from what I understand, #2MT is more common and there are more accessories for a #2MT. Why do they even make a #1MT?

Will I be disappointed that I purchased a #1MT lathe?

If I bought a #1MT lathe, I can still turn pens, bowls etc....?

Thanks
    Jay

you'll be a bit dissapointed because it's a tad harder to get stuff for it. Also if/when you upgrade your next larger lathe won't accept morse taper 1 accessories.

A lathe with a #2 taper would be heavier/stronger?

1 vs 2

Hi Jay, you asked why they even make #1. I'm going to make an analogy for you. Why bother making 1/2 ton pickups when 1 tons are available. Not every tool fits every situation. #2 tapers would be overkill on the smaller hobby lathes. They would have to make the housings larger to hold them. All comes down to holding down costs. If you never intend to buy a larger lathe (most of us said that in the beginning even though those in the vortex told us otherwise) the #1 will serve you ok. There are many more accessories available in the #2 range though. It is possible to get an adaptor to go from #1 to #2 but every time you use an adaptor you increase likelyhood of thins not being within tolerances.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

They actually make MT1 all the way through MT7, though up to 5 is pretty common. It's all about the size of the machine and the forces it has to withstand. In the wood lathe world, most full size machines are MT2, though I've seen some Oneways with MT3. The trend has been toward MT2 for lathes in the recent years, as it's more universal and facilitates moving between a smaller lathe and a full size when upgrading (or just having multiple machines). You can find MT1 accessories, you just won't have as large of a selection.

As important as the taper is the threading of the spindle nose - standard for smaller lathes these days is 1"x8tpi, and most full size lathes use 1 1/4"x8tpi. 5/8"x16tpi is still seen, it's an older size off smaller shopsmith lathes and such. The threads are important for using chucks and faceplates (for bowls etc), and getting a standard size should be a priority as well.

I bought a Wilton mini lathe that has MT#1. It's smaller and more portable that I can take to pen turn a thons and schools that I demo at and also for taking to my grand daughters to teach them to turn. It only weighs 50 pounds and I got a good price on it. If you want a lathe that you want to turn anything of any size get something with a MT#2.
    Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Why bother with #1 Morse Taper lathe? The current standard of mini lathe is 1" x 8 tpi spindle and MT#2. Unless you want to go to sub-mini category lathe, I don't see any reason to go that route. Any savings you may have would have been vanished by the time you add the accessories.
    Gordon

#2MT is, like everyone has said, the most common for woodworking lathes. However, a goodly number of low end lathes (like my older Craftsman tube lathe) use #1. I have never had a problem finding accessories that fit it.

If you want to buy a #1 MT lathe, and later want to upgrade to a bigger lathe, then drop another $13 and get this ... a #1 to #2 adapter. I got one, and use it for all my older Craftsman accessories, when I use them on my new lathe. The image is from Higland Woodworking, but plenty of other places sell them.

Just picked up a #3 to #2 adaptor at WWGrainger. $14.xx

Like Dick just said if you ever need to use those #1 MT in a #2 or bigger just get an adapter.
    Just for some info, here's the sizes for MT #0 to #7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

Yes Jay you can still turn pens and small bowls. Yes you can use some of your accessories if you upgrade but everytime you add a adaptor to make things work on your upgraded lathe you add a chance of having a lot of error introduced in your turnings. If you don't upgrade you should be fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You asked if you would be disappointed. Hard question.

Initially? Probably not. Pens and tiny turnings are fun. If you use the lathe a lot, you're going to find that tiny lathes with the tiny MT2 also has a tiny motor that you can absolutely stall on a piece of hard pen blank. You'll frown and sigh, your shoulders will droop and you'll say, "Maybe I shoulda listened to those folks and bought a touch bigger."

When you want to turn a slightly larger piece and the lathe bogs down on EVERY cut, you'll learn patience and the skill of taking very, VERY light cuts and working a much longer time than you would have with a larger, more powerful lathe.

Disappointed? Not until you realize that you really do want a larger lathe with more options and more versatility.

I have a friend who owns a massive Oneway and a mini and a micro lathe. His Jet pen lathe goes with him to visit the in-laws. He makes pens and chips while the family enjoys his kids. The pen lathe has a proprietary mandrel. MT#0, I believe. He's not disappointed in that lathe, but he only does pens on the road with it. He has options. With one lathe that is an MT1, you will have a LOT fewer options. I own one.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO