Thread: a few pieces from last week

a few pieces from last week

After just finishing 6 weeks of "flat" work on a walnut cabinet, I was drawn to swiftly reset my mind with things that are round. Here's a couple bowls and some turkey calls I cranked out over the past week.

There now.... I feel better.... my mind is once again calibrated to the rotation of Mother Earth.

Even better... just purchased flight tickets to Missouri for 5 days of Spring Gobbler season .

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Terry:
    Everything looks great and good luck with the spring gobblers. I bet you can speak their language with those calls.

All the best.

Don

Terry, do those longer turned pieces go with the calls? I don't live in a hunting area so I'm not too familiar with all that stuff.

OH!!!! and on the last episode of Dirty Jobs on the discovery channel, I learned how turkeys are bred. from extracting the gobble juice from the male and ... inside the female. but now I can at least I say I know how it happens

Very nice work on everything Terry! Quite the assortment of beautiful woods! Really like the curly walnut call in the foreground! Welcome back to the world of the turning! Doesn't look like you forgot anything!

Best of luck with the turkeys!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Terry,

Very nice. Good luck on your hunting trip. Season opens this weekend for me as well. Care to sell a call or two?

Gobble gobble!!

Terry, Great calls and pretty bowls! The turkey's around here are all in the fields strutting and going crazy so it should be a good year for the hunters! Our seasons open next month so I have to wait a little while longer! I have made a few calls, but nothing as beautiful as yours! Just another thing to put on the list of things to turn.

Great work

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I can almost hear the gobbles at daybreak right now .

Jarrod, the long turned pieces are the "strikers" that you use to scratch the slate and make the sounds. The striker is held sort of like a pencil and then you can make a variety of vocals based upon how you "scratch" a pattern or apply different pressures.

Actually, when using the same call, each striker creates a differing sound due to the density of the wood used for the top of striker. This is actually good becasue turkeys, like people, have different soundng voices, too.

Only the wenge striker in this photo is turned from one-piece as an experiement. All the others use a hickory rod with a variety of wood tops. The snake wood top is very dense and, while it looks great, it doesn't work well as a top for the strikers. I find hickory is the most reliable wood tip for my style of slate and glass friction calls. Each slate call contains internal maple supports for to hold a glass sound board which resides just below the slate surface. My glass surface calls have an oak sound board instead of glass.

Terry

Those are some great looking pieces. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Terry for the crash course on the functions of a turkey call. I feel a little more knowledgeable now