Thread: Leak detection scheme?

Leak detection scheme?

I have a cyclone-style chip collector (a Woodsucker) which has been working well for three years. However, recently it has started behaving like there's a leak in the cyclone or chip barrel: more heavy particles are appearing at the filter. I've been all over it looking for the leak, but with no success. I've tried a smoke pencil. I've tried floating a piece of tissue paper around potential leak areas. Anybody have a better way to find leaks?

What about soapy water?

Sanding with a drum sander will usually pretty quickly find leaks! You'll find build-up around/near the leak...DAMHIKT!

One other thing that will send chips into the filters is allowing your sawdust bin to overflow up into the cone of the cyclone...DAMHIKT either!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think I'm hunting for a leak of air going into the cyclone or duct barrel. The cyclone interior is at a lower pressure than the outside. That is, soapy water would make bubbles inside the machine, where I can't see them. And dust from a sander would stay inside.

turn off the collector and use a shopvac to pressurize the system. dampen your hand and move it around the outside till you feel air on your hand.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand