Thread: Phil Thien separator for DC??

Phil Thien separator for DC??

So...has anyone found out a way to use the Thien separator with DC instead of a shop vac? I'm very intrigued by his design. Thanks!

sure just use bigger inlets and outlets on the lid

I used his idea with 2- 35 gal drums stacked( kinda like a cyclone) and my dust collector- PSI DC-4. It works great. A few chips have gotten through to the DC bags but it's very little. I finished mine in mid Feb and have filled up 4 drums and there is maybe a handful of debris in the DC bags.

so thats all you gotta do? just put 4" inlet/outlets instead of the 2.5" ones and use a bigger garbage can?? awesome!...i'm excited about getting dust collection in our shop so my lungs can stop acting as a dust filter

You don't necessarily need a larger garbage can, but it wouldn't make sense to hook up your 2HP dust collector for example to a Thien separator on a 5 gallon bucket...

The Thien Cyclone Separator for my shop vac is on a 20 gallon galvanized steel trash can, the one for the dust collector is on a 30 gallon. If a 30 gallon was available at the time I built the one for the shop vac, I would have used that instead...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Google "Phil Thein" and look at my post "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle" over at NC Woodworker. Shows how I made mine as a "top hat" as I didn't want to lose can capacity. Pictures also show results when using it.

cool, thanks Bruce!