Thread: anyone ever parted a saw out....

anyone ever parted a saw out....

Hey, I have a grizzly G0576 saw that I was having issues alligning. It turns out the allignment(from the tech at grizzly) is the table needs shims between the trunion and table bottom to allign properly. In the mean time, I bought that clearance Steel city cabinet saw. Now I want to sell the grizzly, but I barely have time to do anything for myself right now and don't want to waste another day on alligning the grizzly. I figure the easiest way to do this would be to part it out if there is interest. Sell the cast iron tops, the motor, the stand, arbor, brackets, etc.

Now, do you think there would be any interest in something like this and what do you think would be good prices for the big parts:
    Cast iron wings
    cast iron center
    motor
    trunion assembly
    stand

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Why would anyone be looking for those parts?

I think it depends on the tool, and I can share 2 different stories. I had an old Dewalt RAS, and parted it out...absolutely everything was gone within 2 weeks, at what I thought were premium prices. I am right now trying to GIVE away parts from an old Craftsman RAS, and have given out only 3 parts, the rest will likely wind up at the scrap yard. I think you might try selling it as is and be better off. The motor could be used elsewhere and should sell, but the rest of the stuff would be much harder (IMHO) to sell.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You might find someone interested in the wings but that’s probably about it.

I think you would be better off selling it as-is with a disclaimer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Chris,

If you are thinking of tearing down your Grizzly and selling off the parts only because the alignment requires shims, I believe you would be way ahead in time and money to just complete the alignment process with shims. Installing shims is a fairly common alignment step in cabinet saws of all brands. I had to do this on my Delta Unisaw. It took me about 30 minutes.

Unless there is something else wrong with your Grizzly you should be able to sell it as a complete unit quickly and for a good price.

Good luck to you.

I've parted out several old Craftsman saws. There's always interest in wings, fence, miter gauge, throat insert, leg stand, switch, handwheels, motor, motor bracket, and blade guard, but there's rarely interest in the paying shipping on the cast iron top, or the guts. YMMV because this saw is newer.

I'd guess you'll get $30-$40 each for the wings...sell them separately. You should get $75-$100 for that fence, but it depends on shipping costs, that motor should get $75-$125, miter gauge $15-$25, insert ~ $5-10, handwheels ~ 7-$10, leg stand $20-$30, switch ~ $10....You might be able to sell the saw body with top with no motor or fence.

It takes time to take the saw apart and list these things, then you've got to pack them. I'd be inclined to sell it for $50-$100 below resale value, and explain that it needs alignment. It'll sell fast for as much or more than the parts. I bet it'd move fast for $300-$325.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I would sell it as is letting the buyer know what needs to be done and give them a break on price to compensate.

I parted out a Ryobi BT3000 table saw but that's sort of a cult saw. It too needed shims which are quite a PITA to replace, but I already had another BT3000. I ended up with an extra top panel and substantially more money than the complete saw was worth even if I had corrected the shims. But again, that was a cult saw. And packing up everything was irritating.

But maybe I am deluding myself about the BT3000 being a special situation. Check eBay. Look for completed listings.

And good luck.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

I think parts only sell well for equipment that no parts are available from the Manufacture.
    Does Grizzly still sell parts for this saw?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I say sell it as is. By the time you break it down and advertise it you could have fixed it. Parting out only works if you have a tool that is restored alot and has parts that are costly to replace. You see a market for older tools like Unisaws, Dewalt RAS, PM66, and other vintage tools. I think Grizzly's prices are low enough that part costs aren't an issue. That saw is pretty new and I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for parts.

Chris, I'm curious if any of this has helped...did you decide what to do?
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Well, I am pretty sure I will just allign the saw and then sell it. It will have to wait at least a week to do, but maybe I can get it done late next week.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. It surely helped in making my decision.