Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some things I have made from scratch. Hope this works!!

Some things I have made from scratch. Hope this works!!

This is a rabbett plane made from sheet brass,stuffed with rosewood. It has an adjustable throat,and is 8" long and 3 1/4" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Absolutely beautiful, George. I'm sure it works as well as it looks.

Steve

Gorgeous, George. It doesn't look all that comfortable to hold, though. What am I missing here?

Pam

Actually,Pam,it is quite comfortable to hold with the round contours. I call it the Loch Ness model. You should research 19th.C. metal planes,though. Very many of them were NOT designed with ergonomics in mind at all. The rectangular miter plane that LN makes is similar to the old Stanley,and beyond that,sans blade adjustment mechanism,goes back even to the 18th.C.,and NO KNOB at the back to hold on to,either! I've made quite a few of those style. Couldn't keep them,because people would see them and beg them out of me (well,not quite beg $$$$$)
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-25-2009 at 10:17 PM.

5. More food from George's buffet. I'm not full yet....

That's beautiful George. And I like the overstuffing. Looks like a bearclaw donut. And I mean that as high praise! I must be hungry tonight....
    BENCHCRAFTED.COM

George that looks magical. Are you sure you don't have some gnomes working for you?

Clay,you make saws. Did you see the saw pictures? Thank you. I wish I did have gnomes!!!

WOW. thats awesome George. WWer's make the best tools!

PS

Thanks,everyone.

George, how about a picture of the bottom. How do you get the throat plate to stay in line, considering this is a rabbet plane and doesn't have the side walls to support the bottom
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

This is pretty sad. All these fantastic examples of your craft must be straining your storage areas. As a Southern gentleman I feel compelled, though it would be most inconvenient for my family, to offer to store some of these items for you.

I would not be able to accommodate you for more than a few decades, but if I can be of assistance to you in your time of need I can be in Williamsburg in about 45 seconds. That is if I can get through the tunnel!
    RD

Zahid,not quite sure what you mean. The sliding front sole of the plane is trapped in a "T" slot,so it must remain held,and can only slide back and forth when you loosen the big screw on top of the plane. If you will examine the inside of the escapement in the side view of the plane,you can see that the front sole of the plane has been slid just a bit towards the blade,to tighten the throat. You can just make out a bit of the T shaped track I refer to. Just about 1/64" of the T track is showing.

Mr. Wilson, you made me drool on my keyboard again.

14. That's an adorable design.

Beautiful looking plane George.