Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bronze drill by me

Derek,I appreciate your enjoyment of the work,and hope such that I am able to offer to the forum may inspire others to make tools also. The ones you make should be your favorites once you are able to make good ones.

I made the frame from one piece of bronze. Every thing is one piece,gears and all. At the time I had a 10" Jet bench lathe to do the turnings. Ornamental mouldings like around the large gear were done with freehand held turning tools.

The steel parts are all 01 drill rod. The small bevel gear,though it can't be seen too well,has the chuck's shaft running up through it,with a 60 degree female center drilled cavity on it's upper end. This meets a 60 degree pointed 1/2" shaft that mates into it. The shafts are both very hardened. This serves as the primary thrust bearing for the chuck. Such pressure as is applied in drilling is nowhere near enough to wear this thrust bearing.

The crank handle swivels upon its tool steel shaft. Where this shaft goes through the serpentine handle,thereis a round,hardened steel jam nut with 2 flat spots upon it to tighten the handle's shaft against.

I need to get around to recessing the 2 filister head screws that bear against the main shaft just before it enters the handle. At the time,I liked their looks the way they are,but have thought since that this feature is poor practice.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-26-2009 at 9:56 AM.

2. pretty~!!
    You machined and cast all the metal work too?

Yes,Cliff. everything except the 2 filister head screws.

The quality of craftmanship on SMC always stuns me, but for tools this has to be one of the most impressive I've seen. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Functional art, the best kind IMO.

That's stunning, George. You have talents in many areas (not just wood).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. Are the components sand castings? You guys keep making me want to try new things!

It is a real compliment coming from a craftsman,Mike. Thank you,and Joe,too. Ed,that's exactly the effect I would hope for. When I see a nice piece of work,I feel the same way.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-26-2009 at 8:14 PM.

I obviously haven't been spending enough time here. I was reading through some of your previous posts. You are indeed quite a craftsman, and that's an understatement! Thanks for sharing and I'll be watching for your posts!

Another re post for Matt,who can't get into the FAQ section.