Thread: G7947 12 Speed 17" Floor Drill Press Question

G7947 12 Speed 17" Floor Drill Press Question

Does anyone have this DP?

http://grizzly.com/products/12-Speed...ll-Press/G7947

Any thoughts, pros or cons? There's a "like new" one for sale near me at a very good price.

Thanks,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have had one for 4 years now, it's a very good machine except for the depth stop witch is flimsy so say the least. I made a new one that I described in THIS thread.

Buy it!

Nice work Ken!- it looks really solid. I looked at a Shop Fox 20" a while back- nice machine except for the stop- flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deckelman View Post
    I have had one for 4 years now, it's a very good machine except for the depth stop witch is flimsy so say the least. I made a new one that I described in THIS thread.

Buy it!
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate the info and the picture in the thread. Looks like a REAL depth stop and bracket that you made for your DP.

I also looked at the Enco quill stop that you recommend. Assuming that you're talking to an idiot (me), where does that part go in relation to the threaded rod and the green thing with the red knob on it in your picture.

If you don't mind, I'm sure that have I'll more questions for you about "the fix" for the depth stop when I pick up the machine.

I have hardly any experience with a drill press. I know I need one now and have been looking for a deal for sometime. Today, I found it.

I bought it sight unseen after talking with the owner on the phone. I offered to send him a deposit via paypal and pay the rest in cash when I go pick it up next week. He said that's not necessary and he immediately took it off the CL listing as we were talking on the phone. Took me at my word that I'll be there with cash in hand. I appreciate that, too!

It was purchased brand new about 1 year ago. He assembled it but has never had a drill bit in it. In other words, it's completely unused just like it came out of the shipping boxes except that it's fully assembled.

I asked him....WHY? He told me that he and his wife have a custom art framing gallery. He also has a fully equipped woodworking shop at their home. One day last year a delivery truck pulls up and delivers this DP, an 8" jointer, a lathe and I don't know what else, all Grizzly machines. Turns out that his wife took it upon herself to order for him some woodworking machines so he could set up a "small" woodworking shop in the back room of their custom art framing shop (sounds like a good wife!). Long story short, he didn't want to set up a shop in the back room of their business and he didn't need the machines in his shop at home. He covered the machines with blankets and there they have sat for a year.

I'm buying it for $250.00. The current price in the Grizzly catalog and website for this machine is $619.00, including shipping charges.

I think that qualifies as a gloat and will require pics when I get it in my shop next week!

When you have time would you please measure the base for me with the following info:

overall outside dimensions of the base

distance between outside edges (from the long sides) to the center of the mounting slots

distance from the front edge of the base to the beginning of the mounting slots

length of mounting slots

I surely would appreciate if you would do me that favor. That will allow me to go ahead and build a mobile base for this DP.

Thank you again for your time and recommendations.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

G7947 Drill Press

Stephen,
    I've got one that is 5 or so years old and I too have rebuilt the depth stop cause it was flimsy.My belt tension cam lever broke inside the unit so I made a pivot tension rod to push the motor back to tension the belts.It works better than the original so no harm-no foul.Otherwise,it has done everything I've asked.I have a milling M/C so I also don't push it or use it as a spindle sander.You'll like it.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Stephen,
    I've got one that is 5 or so years old and I too have rebuilt the depth stop cause it was flimsy.My belt tension cam lever broke inside the unit so I made a pivot tension rod to push the motor back to tension the belts.It works better than the original so no harm-no foul.Otherwise,it has done everything I've asked.I have a milling M/C so I also don't push it or use it as a spindle sander.You'll like it.
    Greg

Thanks Greg for your input. I won't be pushing the DP. I just need one to drill accurate holes, mostly in wood. I reckon I'll build or buy one of those DP tables for it.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate the info and the picture in the thread. Looks like a REAL depth stop and bracket that you made for your DP.

I also looked at the Enco quill stop that you recommend. Assuming that you're talking to an idiot (me), where does that part go in relation to the threaded rod and the green thing with the red knob on it in your picture.

If you don't mind, I'm sure that have I'll more questions for you about "the fix" for the depth stop when I pick up the machine.
    Thanks for the compliments...The rod bolts to the bracket on the movable quill, and I just made a new 90* bracket that mounts to the body. The Quill Stop (green thing) is split down the middle and spring loaded. When you pinch the red knobs together the threaded hole opens up to allow you to position the stop wherever you want it.

Clear as mud?

I'm buying it for $250.00. The current price in the Grizzly catalog and website for this machine is $619.00, including shipping charges.
    That my friend is a steal-you should feel guilty!

When you have time would you please measure the base for me with the following info:

overall outside dimensions of the base

distance between outside edges (from the long sides) to the center of the mounting slots

distance from the front edge of the base to the beginning of the mounting slots

length of mounting slots

I surely would appreciate if you would do me that favor. That will allow me to go ahead and build a mobile base for this DP.
    I can do that tomorrow...but I will caution you about using a mobile base with this beast-it is VERY topheavy. Mine is bolted to my floor for stability.

Stephen, Here are some pictures.

In picture 4, it's 14 1/2" wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picture 1= 22 5/8" deep
    picture 2= 3 1/4" center of slot to edge
    picture 3= 3 1/2" from front
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Ken,

Thanks so much for taking the time to take the photos and the measurements. Yes, they're a BIG help.

I was thinking back on your comment yesterday about how top heavy the DP is and cautioning against a mobile base. If I do build a mobile base for it I'll probably use sand bags or something else really heavy to stabilize the bottom of it. Thanks also for bringing that to my attention.

I'm almost certain that I have a piece of heavy duty aluminum T that would serve the same purpose as the piece of steel that you fabricated for the quill stop bracket on your DP. I have a box of of various brackets, etc. "somewhere" upstairs in my barn. You know, a box of treasures that we keep for 30 years just knowing that one day we'll find a use for something in there! Frequently, I do.

Thanks again for the favor. I sure appreciate it. When I pick up my DP next week and get it in the shop I'll post some photos here.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568