Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever flatten a router plate?

You Can Do this Keith!! Flatten that phenoic insert with silicone carbide paper. But beware, it will not be shiny and bright when you are done! But, it will be flat! Everything is a trade-off isn't it?
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Would heat do anything to flatten phenolic? Like maybe popping it into an oven for a while, pulling it out and sandwiching between MDF in a beefy vise? Dunno - just asking.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Would heat do anything to flatten phenolic? Like maybe popping it into an oven for a while, pulling it out and sandwiching between MDF in a beefy vise? Dunno - just asking.
    I recall a machinist I know that told me phonelic is basically epoxy and linen. If that's the case, I would think that heat might not work as some epoxies are pretty "set in their ways" once they cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    You Can Do this Keith!! Flatten that phenoic insert with silicone carbide paper. But beware, it will not be shiny and bright when you are done! But, it will be flat! Everything is a trade-off isn't it?
    Dull and scratchy looking I can handle. Un Flat! I obviously have a problem with that.

It looks like the consensus is sand paper attached to a flat surface.

Thanks for the help.

i wouldnt sand it if i were you, the insides of that phenolic stuff arent as smooth as the outsides!

im guessing the crown is intentional and has always been there

leave it alone!!!

Yeah, i'd leave it, too.

I've got a Rousseau lift and haven't EVER had the slightest problem with that crown. Ever.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

The router plate is now flat.

I was getting ready to put some sand paper down on my table saw. Then a thought came to me.

Why not run it through the drum sander?

I worked great.

It took the crown away enough for me to get it level; almost level enough for my standards. I could have kept going but it would have made the concentric rings to thin.

I know some of you say the crown is supposed to be there but I really don't like it. I Know ground or cast steel router tables and aluminum router plates don't have that design.

If your like me and you want it flat... a few very light passes through the drum sander will do the trick. You have to put it through light and as fast as your belt will move so the heat won't build up. Thats the trick.