Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop vac recommendations

Shop vac recommendations

I am looking for a shop vac to clean up around the house during my construction project (sheet rock dust and saw dust) . I have a shop vac brand but every time I use it, it throws more dust into the air than it collects. So I am looking for a better setup. I am looking at a Fein but am looking for suggestions? Dave

The problem is yr filter. Get a better filter, or use a drywall collection bag.

Also, there are a number of manufacturers of mini-cyclone preseparators that work well at keeping most of the clogging dust and debris out of yr shopvac. The challenge with those is that you have to find a way to rig them so they're convenient to move around.

I have a Clearvue Minicyclone and I love it.

Thanks Shawn I will try a better filter. Dave

I have a Ridgid and like it pretty well, as a matter of fact it is my only dust collection system. I have done two things

1. They (BORG) sell 3 grades of filters the "best" is the HEPA. I use these when I cannot do #2

2. I bought extension hoses and route the exhaust outside.

#2 is better but not always available.

Bill

Dave, keep your Shop-Vac and get the more expensive HEPA pleated filter and the collection bags designed for drywall dust. I have the Shop-Vac 16gal. stainless commercial model and it performs very well with no dust issues!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

6. Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    I have a Ridgid and like it pretty well, as a matter of fact it is my only dust collection system. I have done two things

1. They (BORG) sell 3 grades of filters the "best" is the HEPA. I use these when I cannot do #2

2. I bought extension hoses and route the exhaust outside.

#2 is better but not always available.
    Bill
    I use ExLax when I have that problem, never thought of using a shop vac, but I guess with the extension hoses it would get the job done. I can see why you would want to exhaust outside though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Demetropoulos View Post
    I use ExLax when I have that problem, never thought of using a shop vac, but I guess with the extension hoses it would get the job done. I can see why you would want to exhaust outside though.

Too funny!!!!
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Dave I purchased a dust deputy from Onida for my shop vac. Works great! check out there site. George

Depends on the vac you have, but most Shop Vac brand vacs will accept a filter bag, sort of pre filter. I would add the filter bag, AND a HEPA filter to your existing shop vac and keep using it.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Demetropoulos View Post

That one made me laugh out loud! Thanks, Paul.

Another vote for a Hepa on the Shop Vac. I also find if I clean out the vac container that reduces the vac exhaust prob

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    +1 on the Ridgid Vac.

I had a ShopVac from Lowes, and it was virtually worthless. I bought the Ridgid and it does the job... in spades.

(I use it for my machines that have 2 1/2" DC ports... and my Grizzly DC for the big 4" ones)
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I second the Dust Deputy route, they work really well with your existing shop vac and you won't need to change filters. The dust won't make it to your shop vac canister.

Rigid vac + Clearvue Minicyclone

Dave,

If you really want the best vac money can buy I recommend the Oneida Dust Cobra. It's not inexpensive but the good stuff rarely is, the performance is worthy of a whole house vac. I bought a Dust Cobra specifically to vacuum my ShopBot CNC Router table. The chips and dust left behind after routing sheet goods has to be removed before another sheet can be placed on the table and I wanted a vac that would do the job real quick so I could keep my router running.

The nice thing about vacs that incorporate cyclones is the consistent performance. Since the effluent doesn't reach the filters the cyclone style vacs don't lose suction like a standard canister vac. I bought the Dust Deputy and hooked it to me 6hp ShopVac, it worked great in that performance was consistent but I still wanted more power than the ShopVac could deliver. I ordered the Dust Cobra and it has knock your socks off performance. I can vacuum my 4 by 8 router table in under 60 seconds and nothing is left behind. The Dust Cobra is what all vacuums should be when they grow up!

In the sign shop at CNU I have a ShopBot almost identical to the one in my shop. Because of budget restraints a Dust Cobra is out of the question so I use a $49.00 shopvac to clean the table between sheets. It takes a very long time to get the table clean enough to load the next sheet. Often small particles that I miss will cause the sheet to not be in contact with the table and I end up with details that aren't consistent in the door signs I machine. It breaks my heart to throw Corian plaques in the garbage can when each sheet costs $260.00 plus I lose the machining time.

The moral of the story is that sometimes the good stuff saves you money.......