Thread: Router Table Extension in Table Saw?

Router Table Extension in Table Saw?

I've been thinking about moving to a router table extension in my table saw to save shop floor space. But I have a few questions holding me back.

1) I absolutely love my Woodpeckers cast aluminum router plate and REALLY do not want to give it up to move to something such as the Bench Dog Router Table Extension. Are there any other router table extensions available that would accommodate a Woodpeckers cast aluminum router plate, which is
    9-1/4 x 11-3/4 x 3/8 thick?

Woodpeckers has one, but it appears as though it's made for a saw with the Incra fence system installed. I could get them to make me a custom one, but I wanted to see if there were any other manufacturers with "off-the-shelf" models first.

2) I also really like my Woodpeckers Super Fence. I've noticed that not all the router table extensions have fence slots, so I wouldn't be able to use my Super Fence. And
    if they do, they're too far apart to use with my Super Fence. I figure the manufacturers assume you'll be using your TS fence... I can't imagine being without the split fence and DC hookup of my Super Fence.

So what do you all do for a fence? Use your TS fence exclusively? Have an extension that supports a RT fence?

Thanks!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

"1) I absolutely love my Woodpeckers cast aluminum router plate and REALLY do not want to give it up to move to something such as the Bench Dog Router Table Extension."
    I hope you get some good answers, Paul. I am in the same situation, liking the Woodpecker equipment but not finding a TS extension that fits my Powermatic 66 (Special Edition) with table size = 23 3/4" x 28."

Use the table board

If you beef up the support under your table board you can continue to use your Woodpecker insert. I'm not familiar with the super fence but you may need to install T-track or some other type of helper and you could use the super fence as well. Just a thought... Of course, you'll often need to remove the router table fence when you rip wide boards on the table saw but that's a small price to pay to save a lot of floor space in a small shop.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Thanks,
    Cole

Contact Chris at Quality Grinding in the Manufactures section he can set you up with exactly what you want.

He can make one to fit your Woodpecker and your TS put the slots for your fence where you want them ect.
    Thank You
    Ed

If you are looking for ready-made, I suppose your choices are limited. But why can you not make an extension of MDF covered with high pressure laminate, with a torsion box frame? Route your own opening to fit whatever plate you own! Fit whatever router fence you own to the shop-built table! I see no reason this cannot be done! Do you?

IMO, most do NOT use their TS fence as their only router fence. Of course any iteration of router fence could be adapted to clamp to the TS fence. Otherwise, any router fence could be afixed to the TS extension with clamps, threaded inserts, or any other manner of fixtures you desire. You are limited ONLY by your imagination and ingenuity.

If you have all the $Bucks$ in the world to spend, spring for a Quality Grinding steel table made to your very own specifications! I am sure *that* is something you can live with!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Paul,
    I am in the process of making mine, actually I cut down the router table I made to save on shop space. I will have to remove four screws to be able to open the door on my tablesaw all the way. I can live with that. I had to add the adjustable legs, weight of router and fence made the saw tippy on the mobile base. The price was right, old table and shop off cuts plus a nice Saturday afternoon in the shop. I hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Thanks guys!

I'd rather buy one than build one if possible. I'd also like to keep my Woodpeckers plate and fence if possible.

I've looked at the following:

• Bench Dog 40-102 ProMax Extension has the wrong plate size and the fence slots are too far apart
    • MLCS XM Extension Table has the wrong plate size, though it appears the fence slots are the correct distance apart (not verified)
    • MLCS XCI Extension Table has the wrong plate size and the fence slots are too far apart
    • Peachtree 4030 Router Wing has fence slots that are too far apart, though the plate size is correct
    • Grizzly H7507 has no plate and no fence slots
    • BlackJack Extension Wing has the wrong plate size and the fence slots are too far apart

And I've considered the following:

• Custom Woodpeckers Table, which isn't available until May
    • Custom Quality Grinding Table, which exceeds my budget

So it looks like I have the following options... unless someone knows of other commercially available router table extensions:

• I could go with the Peachtree and buy another fence.
    • I could get Chris at Quality Grinding to make me a custom table, which would unfortunately exceed my budget
    • I could see if Woodpeckers could make me one, but I won't know if it's possible or how much it's going to cost until sometime in May
    • Stick with my standalone router table

I guess I'm going to keep looking for the time being.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Paul,

Have you contacted Chris Brown and asked for a price? He is normally very competitive price wise, don't let the fact that he builds the best turn your head away from Quality Grinding until you get a price quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Paul,

Have you contacted Chris Brown and asked for a price? He is normally very competitive price wise, don't let the fact that he builds the best turn your head away from Quality Grinding until you get a price quote.
    Keith,

Yes, I got a price from Chris. At this time, it exceeds my budget. If I cannot find what I need and for a price my budget will allow, Chris will be at the top of my list for a custom job. I'll have to save up for it... but I guess you get what you pay for, right?!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

PeachTree has cast iron tops with both size cut outs for the router plat.

11. I don't know if that plate is the same size as the Jessem but I bought their phenolic table and cut it down to match my saw and mounted it in place of the wing. It even has a built in mitre slot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    1) I absolutely love my Woodpeckers cast aluminum router plate and REALLY do not want to give it up to move to something such as the Bench Dog Router Table Extension.
    It is just aluminum. Cut off 1/2" (you could even do it on your table saw if you wanted). Of course, you would loose the pretty anodizing on that edge.

Email Justin at Woodpecker, and see if they will make you a custom plate that will fit. The company is very responsive to their customers.

I have a whole woodpecker system (oversize table, Incra LS system, plate and rings)that I have been storing since I got a benchdog extension on my tablesaw... downsizing to a single car garage meant that I had to give up a dedicated router table... and the Benchdog looked like teh best way to go even if it meant giving up the woodpecker router plates.