Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which laminate trimmer is your fave?

Another + vote for the Bosch Colt. Out of the box it’s a sweet little router. I made a plunge base for mine that is similar to the Micro-Fence setup.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1 on the Colt with a Pat Warner offset base (or the set).

The spindle lock on mine broke and I found this to be a common complaint. It was repaired in a few days and I changed to a two wrench method using the Bosch provided "fix" wrench.
    I keep going to Pat's site but I still haven't pulled the trigger for some reason. I KNOW it would be great to have some of his bases...will have to go look again!

Interesting on the spindle lock...maybe I'll try to be a bit more careful with mine but so far so good on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Another vote for the Porter Cable 310. The Colt doesn't feel as good in the hand to me as the 310 does.

Well, I went with the VS Colt- looks like a solid unit. Thanks again for your suggestions. I got the package with the different bases, though I'm not sure I will use them much. I never know what I'm going to do next, so it's better to have the capabilities...

I'm liking the look of the Pat Warner Offset base, too. Looks alot safer than my current unit, as well as more stable. I wonder if the 3/8" plate thickness limits the depth of cut, but I suppose I'd just buy some longer bits to compensate if the need arises.

The Festool looks great, but is cost prohibitive for me- I also think it might be overkill plus.. The 310 looks like a great unit, too, but to only have one I think I'm probably better off having a current production model.

I feel better about making the purchase since reading all your input, and once again am grateful for your expertise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Now, go back there and get your mom..."

Actually, I build guitars when I'm not talking to fish.

router

I'm only replying cause nobody said the ridgid. I have two ridgids, a porter cable and a colt. Use the Ridgids the most. Keep the pc with a roundover at the height I use the most and don't change it as the changing sucks like someone else said. You'll be happy with the colt I'm sure, but for a back up, consider the ridgid. GREAT little router.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    P.s. The PC 310 is very nice but no longer in production. Only some suit at Black and Decker knows why they would discontinue this fine tool. Betterly bought up a large amount of stock and still offers them.
    I have 7 PC 310's, so you can guess what my favorite is. Three are on Betterly fixtures. I have been bidding on them on Ebay, but they are going high. Thanks for the tip on Betterly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ...Interesting on the spindle lock...maybe I'll try to be a bit more careful with mine but so far so good on it.
    I gave up on the Colt spindle lock and use two wrenches.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    I gave up on the Colt spindle lock and use two wrenches.
    The Colt used to ship with 1 wrench. I just got one--it came with 2 wrenches.

The PC-310 is the perfect size and shape, but the collet can be cranky. Also, when I put a tall flush trimming bit in it the cut is slightly out of square.
    If I get another it will be the Colt...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone like the Bosch Colt....

I love mine.

Funny thing is I have used it a lot and have never had a problem with the lock, I just use one wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Does anyone like the Bosch Colt....

I love mine.

Funny thing is I have used it a lot and have never had a problem with the lock, I just use one wrench.
    I have the Colt and I can't stand it. Terrible tool!

(Dewey wakes up from a bad dream)

No really... +1 for the Colt. I bought mine reconditioned from CPO Bosch with a "good as new warranty" for cheap. One of the best tools I own and never had the problems with the locking mechanism either.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I have 3 of the pc 310s
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I have the Ridgid. It gets very hot in my hand. It it difficult to remove the base to change the base. I don't like the position of the switch. It is not my favorite tool but it was the right price

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the Ridgid. It gets very hot in my hand. It it difficult to remove the base to change the base. I don't like the position of the switch. It is not my favorite tool but it was the right price

I had 3 of the Ridgid ones and finally just got my money back.

When I talked to Ridge about it they told me I must have got a bad one. I took the first one back and went to a different store and got the next one. Same problem, took it back and exchanged it, same problem. Called Ridgid and was told again I just must have got a bad one, they had never heard of a heat problem.
    Took the last one back and got the Colt.

Bosch colt gets my vote.