Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which laminate trimmer is your fave?

Which laminate trimmer is your fave?

I use a couple of cheapies from Harbor Freight, and have had problems with flexing, with depth adjustments, and with the 2 wrench bit changes. Seems like there are better ones out there, but which has the best ease of use? I'm mostly concerned with micro depth adjustments (that stay where they should), stability of the unit, vibration, power, and single wrench bit changes.

I build mostly solidbody guitars, and the laminate trimmer is used constantly to do roundover radius edges, pickup and electronics cavities, etc. I want to buy a real good tool, something that will last for years.

Any opnions welcomed, and thanks in advance...

Rich Rice
    www.ricecustomguitars.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Now, go back there and get your mom..."

Actually, I build guitars when I'm not talking to fish.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I have two.

My "I don't care if it breaks" model that I use for simple, non-critical work is a Ryobi. Despite the fact that it's cheap, it functions perfectly and I have been very pleased with it.

My "high-end" trimmer that I am somewhat more picky about using is my Bosch PR20EVSNK that includes 4 bases and an edge guide. About $175 at Amazon with all accessories and hard case. It is AWESOME for a 1HP trimmer, and I couldn't be happier.

Here's the description of the trimmer from the MFR:

From the Manufacturer
    With its compact size and spirited performance, the 1-horsepower Colt variable-speed palm-grip router kit from Bosch is a very versatile tool. It's not just a laminate trimmer, but is ideal for trimming deck planks, hinge mortising, edge forming, slot cutting, dovetailing, window cutouts and decorative inlays. The PR20EVSNK variable-speed palm-grip router kit has a palm-grip design with soft grip to make it the most comfortable router in its class, yet it also has enough power to do the job and is more comfortable and easy to use than larger routers. The softstart reduces start-up torque while the Bosch constant response circuitry monitors and maintains speed under load for consistent performance and overload protection. Easily move the motor from base to base with the quick-clamp system to work on other areas of your project. A convenient front spindle lock on the motor was designed for easy, one-wrench bit changes. Bosch even covered the small details by angling the cord to help keep it out of the way. The contents of this kit make it ideal for all router users.

Hope this helped...

+1 on the Colt

Thanks for the replies so far! How is the depth setting on the Colt? Is it easy to set, and then stable? Also, can you get a good look at where you are cutting? What is the baseplate material?

The Bosch Colt is almost universally regarded as the best in class. There are cheaper, satisfactory tools, but if yr reaching for it all the time it'd be worth it for you.

Another thing people (incl me) do is buy a couple cheapies (I like the Grizzly's @ $40) and permanently chuck their oft used bits (roundovers and flush trimming).

I think bit flexing is more a function of the shank size being 1/4" than the tool. It's also an easy fix to make an alternate baseplate for it. I use a piece of 1/4" hardboard with an oak rail glued to the edge for most of my trim work.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your help. I'm going to pull the trigger on one today.

I think my flexing problem is less the bit, and more the cheap plastic baseplate and locking system on the Harbor Freight unit. It's a great unit for less critical things, but I need a precision tool for this type of work. The big routers are too unwieldy for some of the duties, and changing collets five times per hour gets really old.

Another +1 on the Colt. Mine is the single speed, is the variable speed really useful?

Microfence plunge base + whatever floats your boat.
    Use the fence Luke

I have an old Ryobi and the Bosch Colt. Both are good but I use the Colt more.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'll be the first to say that I have the Colt and don't use it much because I like the old style Porter Cable 310 better. It has a lower center of gravity than the Bosch and feels more stable to me. Maybe it is whatever fits your hand. I have 2 of the 310s. The older one is US made, and the newer one is hecho en Mexico. They seem to be exactly the same in performance.
    JR

Thanks, JR, for that info on the PC 310...I've never seen it before! It does look lower-profile and therefore lower center of gravity. That can be important on edges.

That said, I have the Bosch Colt as well and really do like it alot but I may have to look for a PC 310 to try out one of these days.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the Colt with a Pat Warner offset base (or the set). I notice you do luthier stuff. I would go with the variable speed. I spent the extra few bucks and am glad for the finer control.

The spindle lock on mine broke and I found this to be a common complaint. It was repaired in a few days and I changed to a two wrench method using the Bosch provided "fix" wrench. I'm the oddball I guess as two wrenches are easier to use and provide more control to me than cranking down on a pin-held arbor shaft.

P.s. The PC 310 is very nice but no longer in production. Only some suit at Black and Decker knows why they would discontinue this fine tool. Betterly bought up a large amount of stock and still offers them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    P.s. The PC 310 is very nice but no longer in production. Only some suit at Black and Decker knows why they would discontinue this fine tool. Betterly bought up a large amount of stock and still offers them.
    Figures . . . Featuritis and marketing claims another solid performer. Thanks for the link to Betterly.
    JR

Another vote for the Colt. I absolutely love mine!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

I use the PC310 and the Bosch Colt, both with the offset base from Pat Warner. Both work well. Visibility is better on the Colt. The PC7310 has a terrible height adjustment mechanism, and mine is now dedicated to a jig. Probably hard to beat the Colt - good price and one of the best trim routers currently.

For a high-end trim router, the Festool MFK700 has received many favorable comments. Very pricey compared to the Colt though. Depends on your needs. For roundovers, I'd opt for the Bosch Colt with Pat Warner's offset base.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ