All-

I'm a bit of a newbie here and have tons of questions. I've seen enough pictures and read enough comments to see this is frequented by folks far beyond where I am in woodworking, and it's a joy to engage with the site and with you. Thanks again, John M. As I'm still struggling with some basic decisions, let me pick your brain(s) on this one.

FWW reported a test recently which showed that floating tenons were somewhere in the same ballpark as the traditional tenon in terms of strength, and far better than dowels or bisquits. Another recent article, maybe in FWW as well, showed how to build a wooden jig(s) to do mortises for floating tenons, and how to mill the tenons themselves.

Who among you uses floating tenons and what is your experience with them? I am inclined to see the floating tenon as the way to go, not because it's cheaper, but because it avoids shoulder problems and would seem to be faster. Please tell me if I'm wrong-headed on this one.

Maybe this has been covered, as I've only made it back a few pages in the index of threads and I didn't see it.

Jack Young