Thread: Woodworkers Shop Rental

Woodworkers Shop Rental

I'm wondering if anyone in the Southern California area has or knows of a shop you can rent on a daily or montly basis? I have heard of these but wondering if any exist in my area? I also wondered if not if this would be a good business venture to look into?

Thanks,
    Rich
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Funny you should mention that....

I have been working on a business plan to do just that. Currently looking at many options, and not ready to pull the trigger for at least another five years, but I have a history of developing business plans and executing them, and there certainly appears to be a need... especially in urban areas and areas where apartments and condo's dominate.

There is a member shop in Northern California, but no actual shop rentals. My thoughts are to do similar but add shop rentals (much like large mini-storage facilities with steel bldg's).

Check out what this member-based place does:

http://www.sawdustshop.com/

The only other one I've seen (except some senior centers) is in Maryland.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

A few weeks ago I came across a cabinet shop that leases out the entire shop for $600 a month. You can probably work out something if you don't need the shop for that long.

A finish carpentry contractor looking to sub lease his cabinet making shop.

$600 monthly with all the tools inside the shop included: Unisaw Table Saw, air compressor, finish nailers, miter saws, routers, dust collectors, drill press, and much more.

About 900 SQ Foot shop area, will have its own restroom.

Located in Santa Ana, off Dyer and the 55 Freeway. Ask for Juan, 714-788-1886.

That would be perfect if in the Rancho Cucamonga or Alta Loma area.
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

About 10 years ago there was a shop in Pasadena. I don't recall the name. It was operated out of a decommissioned high school site that leased out the buildings to different businesses. This business naturally leased the wood shop area. I don't know if it still exists or not, however I don't see the advertising for it like I used to. I went to a couple of open houses there. It was a nice space. Business plan similar to the Sunnyvale site listed - monthly subscription fee, and, they also offered classes for specific projects like Morris Chairs etc.

As a user the "problem" is the exact same thing as a gym - you want to use it when everyone else wants to use it and the business owner needs to sell as many subscriptions as possible. This usually means its crowded. It was too uncomfortable for me. Waiting in line to use the table saw. I always felt rushed. You have to set up each machine up each time - because the next person is going to change the settings to their needs. I also didn't like others sloppiness. I'm sloppy enough as it is. I didn't need extra wood chips on the floor to slip on. The tools were always going to be sharpened "soon".

As a business plan I believe it leaves a lot to be desired. The woodworking school model seems much more sensible. Just my two cents.

I