Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 - Realistic Pontential

Jet 1642 - Realistic Pontential

How hard and complicated is it to turn a rough green wood of say "20 in diameter for out board turning??? I just got off phone with a turner who said that was a much bigger deal than advertised, he said because it is out of round, that lathe would likely walk accross room? I realize you would have to pay about $300 for stand alone tool rest. What other issues or concerns are that that I may not be aware of? Will 1 1/2hp be enough to outboard turn 20" bowl?
    Woodturning while listening to Bluegrass, can't get any better than that!

reply to my own question :)

after thought - how much more difficult is it to turn 20" bowl outboard on a Jet 1642 then on a powermatic, grizz, vega style 20" inch lathe?

My first thought is that you absolutely will need support at both the headstock and tailstock. A blank that big probably weighs a lot...many hundreds of pounds at least. Trying to turn it with support from only the headstock will probably put unreasonable stress on the bearings, and who knows what else. But just lifting it to mount it on your lathe will be tough.

Here's a video of Nick Cook turning something a wee bit bigger than that. He talks about how he managed it. http://vidego.multicastmedia.com/player.php?v=90mr6ofj

You will, of course, be turning off the tail end of the lathe with a floor-stand tool rest, so you can't use the tail stock for support like you could on the PM. You are going to want to load it up with cement bags or something to make it less likely to wander. It depends a lot on the actual blank in question. It should work ok if it isn't hanging too far out. You said 20" diameter, but not how long or the weight.

bowl

I am thinking about blank maybe little less than 20 by 12? Make a decent large bowl?

too big

Dick, I don't think I will be turnig anything that big Neat video though

You really need to take a look at what a blank 20 X 12 weighs in at.
    That is one big blank.
    If you ever get down this way stop in and I will show you what I am talking about.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I don't think it too insane to turn that big. I turned some dry stock that started out around 30" but it only stuck out about 9". I got it as round as I could with my chainsaw. I had the mustard which is a bit heftier. I think it is definitely doable with the 1642 but you are definitely stretching it and it shouldn't be done a lot. It is also a safety hazard and should be done carefully.

I think 1 1/2 should be enough.

I would find out the weight of the piece. The 30 by 9 was around 80 pounds. I wouldn't go much bigger than that if using the 1642.

Gary

You live down there around Greg Kirkland? I have been there

Yup----he's about 10 miles from me.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

email

email me directions and phone and I will stop by, I think I am coming down to see Greg sometime between April 6 - 11.

prains@lexingtonchristian.org

Paul, Ive done some max diameter by about 9" on my 1642 though I did have tailstock support. I had no troubles at all with the power or anything else really, just started out real slow. I know a 20" blank would of course weigh more but I think if you took it slow and was careful the lathe should handle it. Put some sand bags on it for weight and you should be fine.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

If you are considering buying the Jet 1642 with the intention of turning bowls 20" diameter, don't. However, if you are buying the lathe thinking that you might someday turn one or two bowls up to 20" diameter, its a great lathe and can probably handle the job.

good answers

I found a thread on AAW that spoke about actual use of 20 inch lathe compared to 16, I am going with 1642 2HP, thanks for replys

I turn 16" to 23.5" bowls outboard on my OW1640. I always use the tailstock, due to the weight of the wood, and the fact that most of them are out of balance. My lathe is bolted down to the wooden floor of my shop. If you don't have the possiblity of using the tailstock, it might be pretty difficult to get them balanced enough to turn without it. I don't know this... I'm just guessing... but you would really need to be careful. Give it a try. You can always quit if things get too out of hand, and if you succeed, won't that be a hoot?
    I have a rope block & tackle above my headstock that I use for lifting the large chunks.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.