Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frist look at the Mortise Pal

Frist look at the Mortise Pal

I got a little time today to work with the Mortise Pal.... NICE

It is made very well, for those that have a DowelMax, it is right there with it and works as advertised.

I did find that I don't like the knob that is used to tighten the jig on to the wood, it just doesn't feel right for some reason and it could be larger.

Just like the video, mark the center and were you want the mortise and set the jig on the wood. Line up the marks and clamp it down, couldn't be much easier. http://www.mortisepal.com/videos.html

With narrow boards its still no problem, just put a shim in to clamp with the small board. I was using some 1/2" boards and I used a 3/4" board for a shim, you are still moving the center of the jig to your center of the mortise.

The mortise is clean, that is if you have a sharp bit. The one thing is the templates are about 1/32" wider then the bushing. What this means is if you don't hold the router to one side or the other your mortise will be wider then the bit.

This is really no problem if you are planing and making your own tenons, which I am. So I will always plunge the router the lenght of the mortise and then clean up by routing to each side of the template.

One of the things that surprised me right off is the fact that you loose 3/4" of your router bit. That is the bushing and the center of the jig take 3/4" and I did have to pull my bit out of the collect more then I normally have it set.

Its not going to replace a bench top mortise machine, a Domino or my DowelMax but for me it is a great addition to the shop.

It is still on sale on their site until the end of the month.

http://www.mortisepal.com/purchase.html

Blog Entries
    I just used mine again yesterday. It is hard to not like the little guy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the review, Bill. I just got mine earlier this week, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'll probably try it out this weekend.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Thanks Bill.

I have had mine for a week or so but haven't tried it. Still working on a bench to hold the wood vises so I can hold the wood to hold the Mortise Pal.

Jim

Ok, I couldn't take that little knob any more so I replace it today. Not a hard job at all, remove the little allen screw in the end of the screw and unscrew it.

I just double nutted the screw and removed the old knob. Put it back together and then added a nut and a new knob. I used one from Woodcraft that I had and it is much much better.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=1072

P3287990.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks you Bill for the kick in the behind. This is much better.

Ps. Super out-of-focus-wrong-thread-stealth-gloat in the upper left corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

– Samuel Butler

for $200 does it make you breakfast in the morning??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    for $200 does it make you breakfast in the morning??
    Price a dowel max . Different animal but a similar quality, purpose specific tool. I was looking at a $400 BT mortiser and 2 or 3 quality chisels at about $70 each . . . I went with the MP . It would be cool though if they were about $50. Maybe HF will make a version .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-28-2009 at 6:14 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks you Bill for the kick in the behind. This is much better.

Ps. Super out-of-focus-wrong-thread-stealth-gloat in the upper left corner.

Now that gloat looks like a Ridgid sander......... well the box from a sander.

I love mine in fact sold my benchtop mortiser soon after getting it. I found the tuffer tenons in the 8mm size work well. The 6mm size are a little small which woodcraft sells both. But best of all are the Festool dominos. There right on all the time. I use these on smaller joints. The downside is you need metric router bits use these. I found the Whiteside to work the best. I make my own tenons for longer and wider tenons.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Price a dowel max . Different animal but a similar quality, purpose specific tool. I was looking at a $400 BT mortiser and 2 or 3 quality chisels at about $70 each . . . I went with the MP . It would be cool though if they were about $50. Maybe HF will make a version .
    yeah $50 would be about right IMHO. you can build the same thing for the price of a few hardware pieces and some scraps. i bet $10 max. oh well i guess if you got the money to spend...

Blog Entries
    Actually, you can use a 5/16 bit and the 8mm Festool dominos - works great and they fit tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    Actually, you can use a 5/16 bit and the 8mm Festool dominos - works great and they fit tight.
    Thanks Don, I was wondering about Dominos.....

Blog Entries
    I use them all the time now - not a Domino, but the next best thing and certainly does a good job. The only catch is that you need the metric template from Mortise Pal.

Bill, out of curiosity, what are the strengths & weaknesses of this compared to Dowemax?

What instances would you prefer one over the other?