Thread: Outfeed table?

Outfeed table?

O.K., I need to cut 4x8 3/4" plywood lenthgwise. What do I need to support the cut end of the work. Do I build be an outfeed table out of 3/4" MDF and 2x4s or maybe buy one of those roller thingies? What works best?

Stan,
    MHO...I never had any luck with those rollers. They always fell over or caused me to keep an eye on them while cutting. That takes your eyes off the most important thing...that spinning blade

With the help of this forum, I built an outfeed table. You can check mine out in this thread: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96478

I would not use MDF! Most seem to use laminate. I just used some poplar plywood and put several coats of poly on it. It folds down to meet my storage needs and flips up when in use. You want to have a slick surface. You can also use ply and glue some laminate on yourself.

Search the forums here and you will find a lot of good info and ideas to build what will best suit your needs.
    E-

outfeed

Stan, an outfeed table is the best bet, but here's link to what works VERY well for the time being and is nice to have around. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+530616 As far as an outfeed table, I built a top to fit on my workbench (an old oak desk), put wheels on the bench and I have a great outfeed that can move and provides great storage. Russ

A lot depends on your needs. Is this going to be a constant need or is this something you just need to solve once?

If you see this coming up in your future a lot I'd look at a more permanent solution like a this assembly table torsion box which Marc uses as an outfeed table or something more multi-functional like the Ultimate Tool Stand.

Depending on your sawhorse situation, you could temporarily screw two 2x4s across a pair of sawhorses, just block it up to the right height minus 1/8". Just check the edge for metal and maybe make a pass on your jointer and wax it if you like to reduce friction.

Good luck!
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

table

I forgot to mention, I made my top out of melamine and so far so good. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have good support under it. I build a torsion box of sorts, so it stays flat and provides a nice surface.

I agree with Eric that at least the lighter weight roller stands aren't terribly stable.

A useful feature to an outfeed table that isn't right up against the machine is to make the main portion at the same level as the table the work is coming off of (saw, shaper, etc.), but have the leading edge curved down an inch or two, to compensate for sagging wood.

Depends on how much room you have as well.
    If you can build a dedicated outfeed/assembly table that would work.
    I did that and built mine out of 3/4 birch ply and a melamine top.
    Let me know if you want more info on it.
    I did this because I couldnt find a good way to attach a smaller outfeed table to my saw.
    Im sure you will find something that works best for you.
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

I made mine out of Birch plywood with a few coats of poly. I put a 1 1/4 inch piece of walnut around the edge to help keep it flat.

I initially used outfeed tables from HD to hold it up, but later put on foldout legs. The rail from my Sawstop had a perfect place to attach the outfeed table.

It is very nice to have an attached outfeed table if you work by yourself!

Roger

PS - your outfeed table will quickly evolve (devolve?) into a semi-permanent workbench, so the more stable you make it the better.
    Last edited by Roger Jensen; 03-28-2009 at 1:38 PM.

I ended up making an outfeed / assembly/ storage table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Outfeed Table

I ended up making an outfeed / assembly/ storage table.
    That's not an out feed table, that's a kitchen island!

+1 on the Ridgid Flip Top Stand for a quick solution. Roller stands can take the wood off track. The real solution, if you have time, is a real outfeed table.

I used my Workmate as a base, and added a table top to it using scraps. The edge uses a 4 inch PVC so as to allow stock to glide onto the table. The table top is held via the vise of the Workmate and is removeable in seconds, or I can f9old down my Workmate with the top attached and store upright folded to the side if needed. This outfeed had to be independant of the TS for a variety of reasons, notwithstanding that I had to deal with the rear rail of my Excalibur fence being kept clear.

Shop Shots II - TS Outfeed.jpg