Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this? Chinese plywood...

What is this? Chinese plywood...

Bought some chinese plywood today. Have I ever mentioned how I hate this stuff?

But for lack of anything better readily available...

I am putting together a toybox. Going to be painted so I dont see a need for anything too fancy.

I didnt see this until I was cutting the dado's. The blades bore down and fibers started kicking out.

What the?

This is what was embedded between the layers. This one is a first for me. It is bad enough this cheap plywood has gaps and the layers dont hold together.. but now it has turned into Cracker Jack Plywood. Never know what kind of prize you will get.

I will be pointing this out to the Big Orange store I got it from.

crap1.jpg

crap2.jpg

Did I mention I hate chinese plywood?
    One good turn deserves another

I just went back out and examined the other piece. I now know what that is.

Believe it or not it is a basketball.

Dear Lord... next time at least include a tool or something!
    One good turn deserves another

I've been building shop cabinets and decided to buy some plywood at the BORG. The stuff I got is called Arauco plywood on the label - I won't tell you what I call it . Out of 8 or 9 sheets I returned 2 because they were so bad even before cutting. The lumber dept. manager tried to claim that it was the low humidity in NM that caused problems for everyone selling sheet goods. I think that's a crock - decent goods from hardwood suppliers aren't as unstable. Learned my lesson (again ) - you get what you pay for.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    I just went back out and examined the other piece. I now know what that is.

Believe it or not it is a basketball.

Dear Lord... next time at least include a tool or something!
    Who "wood" ever have imagined that?! If you drop a sheet of does it bounce on the floor?
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

We've stopped using the stuff after one of the local group members hit some metal and tore up his saw blade.

I live down the road from a subdivision that is made of Chinese drywall!! Most of the residents have had to move out because of the smell and the fact that all their wiring and plumbing is corroding. I try to avoid buying anything made in China but it is almost impossible!!

Unfortunately, it's probably the stuff you don't see in it that is the REAL problem. If you put this stuff in your house you'll be breathing formaldehyde and who knows what else for months. They have no safety controls on their glues or other additives.

As long as Americans keep buying this stuff because it is cheaper than US-made plywood they'll keep pumping it out as cheaply as they can, cutting whatever corners they can to save a few bucks per sheet.

Roger

ply

same thing happened to me with no prize.i never cut plywood with sparks coming out of it some sort of metal.emailed home depot they dont care.store manager told me they sell quite a bit of it with no returns.never again for me it is crap.i ripped the sheet lenght wise and went to move it and snap it delaminated in the middle.i cant believe all the junk we import that is not worth a darn.just my 2 cents.jim

Those guys in the plywood factory are probably still wondering what the hey ever happened to their basketball....
    David DeCristoforo

Wow, that's pretty amazing, Rick. Seems that plywood manufacturer has a few quality control problems to say the least.

I don't care where it's made. If it's a good product sold for a good price, I'll use it. If it's a lousy product at any price, I won't.

My Grizzly machines were made in China and they're awesome! My pickup truck was made in the USA and it's a poorly engineered, unreliable mess.

I Sense a Tide turning...at least I hope so. Price without quality is of no value.

Chinese plywood is China's waste disposal system. Works pretty good - they put their garbage in it, ship it to us, and we pay top dollar for it. You gotta hand to 'em - not a bad system!!

Hey, wait a minute, a good basket ball costs more than a sheet of C-4 plywood. So you got a free basket ball and you are complaining! The nerve!

maybe it is not china ply but some recycled boston garden parquet. you might have a piece of history.

Just imagine what they grind up for their particle board...