Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie introduction

Newbie introduction

I've been lurking here for about a month, so I figured I would introduce myself.

Just started looking at woodworking as a hobby back in the fall. Built myself a simple but decent sized bench with an MDF top. Got a router and miter saw for Christmas, and bought a contractor saw on sale about two months ago. All tucked into the corner of my basement, surrounded by all the junk my wife and I have stored down there, with some shelving units and litter boxes cramping my space as well.

Since I'm just getting started, my knowledge is of course very limited. That can make some things a bit intimidating, but this forum definitely seems like a great place for helpful information. I've already learned some things just perusing this site. I'm planning on buying a few books to increase my knowledge, and then try to figure out what kinds of things I want to build. My wife already has plans for me, of course, but most things are beyond my current skill level.

For those of you familiar with the Philly/Bucks County area, I'm located in Buckingham Township, right near the intersection of Rt. 263 and Edison-Furlong.

Anybody know of any good lumber and plywood sources in this area, with reasonable prices (price being a big factor in what my wife let's me get away with)? I've bought some things from the local big box stores, but of course quality and selection are lacking. I headed over to Niece Lumber in Lambertville, NJ, this morning to see what they had, since it's a short trip. Being a newbie, I don't know whether their prices are reasonable or not.

Thanks, and I look forward to hanging out here more in the future.

Steve

Welcome Steve. I'm fairly new (to posting) here also. Some very good information to be had here. Lots of people started with less than you have. Just jump in and surprise yourself. If you get in a bind, ask a question. Someone or several will reply to be sure. Be sure to get the junk out of your way before working. I for one don't want to start calling you Lefty or Stubs or ???. Have fun. Russ

Welcome to the Creek Steve!

Welcome, Steve..

Sarge..

Welcome Steve!

welcome steve

i too am a newly retired newbie. this forum is extraordinarily helpful.

after 40 years of 2x 4 woodworking I am trying my hand at making small cabinets and quakity boxes.

I am finishing an assembly table that incorporates dog holes and a vise that wll dramatically faciliate woodworking tasks. Wish I made my first one 40 years ago. There are many inexpensive handmade jigs that lend themselves to dog hole hold downs. You can probably add these easily to your workbench.

Check out Shopnotes magazine for enough tips and suggestions to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Good luck

tc

Steve, Welcome. There's alot of good info here everyone will try to answer any questions you've got. just be safety minded and have fun. Craig

Welcome to the Creek!! No one has responded to your inquiry regarding pricing, and being in KY, I won't be much help either. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to search the creek for PA members, but eventually someone will chime in with some regional pricing/source info.

Enjoy your new found hobby! Sounds like the tool addiction is off to a great start

Welcome, Steve. I am located in PA as well, but northwest PA so I'm afraid I won't be of much help for materials in your neck of the woods.

How about some pictures of your bench? We love pictures.

Welcome Steve! I Googled "pennsylvania lumber" and lots came up. If you are looking for surfaced stuff the big home reno stores are where you'd get it and their ply is often competitive. They'll rob you on the surfaced stuff though. Here's what your wife will get mad about, at some point you'll want a jointer, then a surface planer and so on because you get tired of wasting money on the surfaced stuf. Be sure to build stuff for her and all will be forgiven.
    AB

Steve, welcome to sawmill Creek. You've found a great group of people who will help you with just about anything you need to know about woodworking. The talent and expertise here is amazing.

[QUOTE=Steve Wurster;1093654]...
    Since I'm just getting started, my knowledge is of course very limited. That can make some things a bit intimidating, but this forum definitely seems like a great place for helpful information. ...[quote]

Don't worry about woodworking being intimidating. I'm sure that all have felt that way from time to time. I sure do. In some ways that's something that makes woodworking a rewarding hobby or job.

Thanks, and I look forward to hanging out here more in the future.

Steve
    I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress and hope to have opportunities to offer some help.

As for wood sources in your area, I've heard a lot of great things about Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/index.html). According to MapQuest it's a little over an hour from Philadelphia.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Welcome aboard. Hearne is a GREAT place. It's a 2+ hour drive for me but when i need something that local suppliers do not have it's worth the trip.

Jim B is one of the moderators here and I believe he lives near you so I would wait for him to chime in. There are a lot of local sawyers that will have what you need.

Welcome to the creek.
    Lori K

Well howdy..
    Just a small tip for a newby if I may.
    SET YOUR MACHINERY UP RIGHT.
    Don't believe that the stuff comes to ya adjusted correctly from the factory. Get an accurate square ( a plastic drafting triangle will work), a good straight edge, and a good tri square. You can check a lot of stuff for straight and square with those tools. Good blades for the saws are a plus too.
    If ya have three spare weeks, I can tell you how I learned these tips.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!